Knife sharpening

I have every knife sharpener known to man and I suck at using all of them. Every now and then I somehow get a knife really sharp and it is normally a complete and unrepeatable accident.

Me as well.

I have a couple of good whetstones, ceramic sticks, and most recently bought the KME deluxe system.

I can use the KME but I definitely haven’t gotten the hang of it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lansky guide rod system and get the Super C Clamp to go with it. All set for sharp blades. Not fast on initial sharpening, but once you have the perfect edge and don't dull it terribly or abuse the blade to touch it up the next time only takes 10 minutes tops.
1707187764578.png
1707187787694.png

I got the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. It's a cheapo version of the ones I really wanted.

61Y9o9Qb94L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I'm pretty impressed. I was able to get a stupid Bear Gryls Gerber knife shaving sharp. My kitchen knives are much sharper now, too.

ChrisA

WKR
I got the Work Sharp Precision Adjust. It's a cheapo version of the ones I really wanted.

61Y9o9Qb94L.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I'm pretty impressed. I was able to get a stupid Bear Gryls Gerber knife shaving sharp. My kitchen knives are uch sharper now, too.
I bought this too and have had decent luck, got one pocket knife super sharp, a few others moderately sharp, Buck knives not so much, and the rest wont work in the clamp. Not satisfied by any stretch.

mattm94

FNG
After discussing this at length with Charles May, I came to the realization that nobody can free hand a sharpening angle as well as using a guide.

On good knives, I use a Lansky clamp with the DMT Aligner holder and DMT diamond stones. Go all the way down to the tan “extra extra fine” stone, then a leather strop and rouge. I‘ve skinned, quartered, and caped a couple elk and several deer in between sharpening sessions with Charlie’s knives sharpened this way.

Cheaper knives like Rapala fillet or Victorinox paring knives, I just use one of those silver Rapala pocket sharpeners with the two grits, and go full ham on the course one till it feels like it’s cleaned it up. Then finish on the fine side with 3-5 pulls.

I use a work sharp initially. Finish it with a diamond sharpener. Sometimes use one of my many stones to fine grind it or my ceramic sticks. A lot depends on which knife.

In the field I tune things up with the diamond sharpener. Sometimes the edge gets adjusted cutting off legs and I need to tweek it a little.

fshaw

WKR
I’m a DMT fan and have a few of the Diafolds. They work well even on the “super steels”. Many models to choose from.

Have used DMT plates by hand for several years but just picked up a Hapstone RS system with a set of their CBN plates during black friday. It was well worth the price.