Kowa TSN-501::worth the weight savings?

Lone Tree

FNG
Hi everyone, first post but long time lurker!
I’m currently using a 20-60x60 diamondback, the clarity is sufficient to around 40 for my needs. I hunt in rough mountain terrain in the Pacific Northwest and interior ranges of BC and pack weight is a real concern.
I’m considering switching to the 14 oz kowa tsn-501 (compared to 33 oz for the vortex) But concerned I won’t be happy with the optics. Will the Kowa struggle in low light worse than the diamondback? Is it as sharp? Sharper? @gr8fuldoug you might have an informed opinion on this? Anyone else have experience with this little Kowa?

While I can’t make a comparison to the diamondback, I love my little 502. I think it definitely punches above its weight class and as long as you’re not expecting 85mm performance you’ll be pleased.

ChrisAU

WKR
While I can’t make a comparison to the diamondback, I love my little 502. I think it definitely punches above its weight class and as long as you’re not expecting 85mm performance you’ll be pleased.

Same withe my 502. Sharp little sucker. Paired with a Tines Up digiscope setup its the bees knees and weighs less than a compact set of binos.

Had the 501 for a while. Was impressed how clear and crisp it was all throughout the zoom range during the day, but like most 50mm scopes, it really struggled once the sun started going down.

pc3

WKR
Does the eyepiece rotate or is it fixed?

Its not changeable for another eyepiece...if thats what you mean, 20 to 40x. Agree with what has been said above crisp and super light, dulls off a bit as light starts to fade. My Daughter has one, the angled model.

Superdoo

WKR
Its not changeable for another eyepiece...if thats what you mean, 20 to 40x. Agree with what has been said above crisp and super light, dulls off a bit as light starts to fade. My Daughter has one, the angled model.
I mean, does it rotate? Like can I turn it to sit off to the side while viewing.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
also look at the
#311002 Athlon Cronus 12-36x50 ED Spotting Scope reduced from $699.99 to only $499.99
&
#56194 Hawke Endurance ED 15-45x60 Angled Spotting Scope - Call for special price
Ultra compact and lightweight construction
Extra-low Dispersion glass for optimum clarity
Dielectric Coatings designed to increase light reflectivity
Fully Multi-Coated optics to produce sharp images
Close focus – see detail from 8.2ft/2.5m
BAK-4 Porro prisms for intense colour and contrast
Dual focus knob to achieve ultra fine focusing
Stay-on soft scope cover for maximum protection
Twist-up eye cup and pull out sunshade
Digi-scope compatible for use with your camera
Nitrogen purged – water and fog proof
Hawke lifetime warranty

OP
L

Lone Tree

FNG
Hey Doug I called and the dude I talked to was awesome! But he suggested the Hawke ed60, not the 50... but the 60 is too heavy, how does the hawke ed50 compare for light gathering compared to the kowa?
Thanks so much for the info!