Kuiu icon pro frame ( on sale) & pack

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
So I noticed that in the kuiu outlet the 2016 icon pro frame is marked down to $210. You can get the icon pro 5200 pack only for $200.

I did a quick search here on kuiu packs and didn't find a ton of info. Everyone leaning toward exo or kifaru. I kinda had my mind made up on the exo until a friend mentioned the kuiu.

Any inputs? The whole kuiu system would be about $410 vs. the exo at $650. Anywhere I can save money and not sacrifice quality is a bonus.

Looking for info on the kuiu vs exo

Thanks

hflier

WKR
Lol, get ready. KUIU leadership is not popular here. Lol, regardless of product quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really comes down to how each fits you. I have gone from 2013 Kuiu Icon to 2014 Exo then 2015 EXO then back to Kuiu Icon Pro for 2016 and 2017. Currently have a Stone Glacier also with Krux frame and I think that is going to loose out as well but I'll try the Evo and X-Curve as well.

Between myself and a friend we have packed more elk (other animals too) than many on here will ever pack. I think he is on something like 15-16 elk with his Icon Pro. Not small loads either. Have not had one durability issue at all.

If the pack fits you any of the higher end packs will perform. Kuiu has a small amount of curvature in the lumbar area and a pretty thick lumbar pad. Stone Glacier is thinner here on the Krux. The EXO wasn't not comfortable but I really had to crank on the waist belt and shoulder straps when packing heavy and their bags drove me absolutely nuts

I own a Kuiu and a Kifaru. Here’s my take.

You always hear there is no comparison. To be truthful, there isn’t. Kifar is hands down more comfortable. Handles heavier weight better due to their belt. It’s just a more comfortable pack.

But, the truth is, the Kuiu isn’t uncomfortable or incapable. It’s just not as comfortable. It’s the belt and the shoulder straps. As far as the frame goes, it would carry a truck. It is very stable and capable. It is in my opinion, the strongest, most ridged frame on the market.

If I didn’t own both, I’d be totally happy with Kuiu. It has its pluses. Light, compact, etc...it is a very capable pack that’ll do everything you need it to do. Mines carried 80 pounds of sandbags for quite a few miles without a hiccup.

I can sum it up like this. Only one pack maker gives you the option to completely customize the fit. That is Kifaru with aluminum stays. Buy with confidence it’s going to feel good. The others will do Good but may not be perfect. However, ignorance can be bliss. For $400, the Kuiu is a good deal

I feel like KUIU products get a bad rap around here, irregardless of how well their products perform. Some might think their owner is a dick, and that's fine, but that doesn't make their products inferior or otherwise. Truth be told, for the price, their ICON PRO pack system is pretty damn nice.

I used the icon pro frame with both the 5200 and 3500 bags for my main pack system while guiding in the field for about 70 days last year and the system worked great for me. The frame is sturdy and light, and I never felt like it was not up to the task or overloaded. This includes a very heavy, nearly 10 mile packout. Afterwards i was a hurting unit, but not from the pack.

The bags are very high quality, with nice pocket layouts for organizing your gear. I appreciated the high quality, double zippers, which make it easy to get to items in the bottom of your pack very quickly without digging through your bag from the top down. This is especially handy when you need to grab your rain gear in a hurry for a flash storm!

They also make a number of nice accessory items that I have used and found to work well. The rifle carrying adapter is pretty solid, and they make a very nice lightweight, zippered bag that clips into place inside the bag that I found very useful for storing my kill kit in.

All told, I probably wore that pack for about 100 days last year and it has held up very well. I plan to put another 100 days on it this year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Kuiu packs are more than capable for everything you need to do. They have had some issues in the past, but they are few and far between now. And every pack company out there has had their issues, that is why they have warranties and customer service.

As far as the pack bags and frames themselves, all very good and can't be beat at their price point. The bags are laid out very good with pockets and that is a bonus to me. I hate attaching bags to my pack via attachment points. It makes the bags heavier and it looks all jacked up with a bunch of stuff hanging off of it.

If you have any specific questions, call me. I live very close to Kuiu and have known the Kuiu folks since day one for the most part.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Great info here thanks! I just ordered the icon pro frame. Do any of you have and/or recommend the pack hauler kuiu sells ($40). I'm gonna get the 5200 bag in a few weeks....I'm trying to pick up gear here and there so it doesn't feel so bad coming out of the checkbook all at once.

I have the original icon(after they fixed the frame issue). I love the bag layout on these packs, and the fact that it is light. Ive got 3 seasons on mine now and no issues at all and have hauled 70+ lbs many times without issue.

They make good stuff overall. I have plenty of it that I have collected over the years.

Whatever you do, stay away from the 1850 bag. Way too small and the bigger bags pack down well.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The load hauler is good for training. I use 50 pound bags of pea gravel. It also works well if just making meat pack runs and don’t need gear. They make a small bag that attaches to the load hauler for incidental stuff too.

Mntnere

FNG
They get a bad rap everywhere. I've got a icon pro
3200 two seasons old and could not be happier. It's been good to me , I hunt deer in West Va. And packing out is as good as it gets. As with any pack. My legs give out before this pack will

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

hikenhunt

WKR
I have a KUIU 1850 and 5500. The pack feels great under light and heavy loads. The 1850 is small but super light for early season day hunts.

If you go with KUIU, wait for a sale. They have them every few months.

Keedman

FNG
This is great info! I was going to pick up a pack when they had a clearance but backed down from lack of postive reviews. Always saw the kifaru exo or stone is the way to go anything else is a "waste".