Kuiu Mountain Star Poles

Hi All,

Before I get started, this is not meant to be a brand bashing exercise, I am just looking for others experience.

I was wondering what everyone's experience is with the Kuiu Mountain Star 2P, particularly the poles. I ordered one back in January and had only set it up in the yard at home to trial it until this weekend. I went on a backpack hunt for Sambar Deer and had a bit of inclement weather. Got about 4 inches of snow and 23-35kmh (15-20mph). Nothing that I thought the tent wouldn't be able to handle. The majority of the snow fell between 5pm and 9pm so every 20 minutes or so I was able to knock it off so there was never a 'load' sitting on the tent.

Anyways to cut a long story short, when I got home and went to re-assemble the tent to dry it out there were 2 things that bugged me. Firstly, the internal aluminium sleeve had pulled out of the end that it was supposed to be in and was inside the opposite pole segment. The pole wasn't broken, but it was a real pain to get out and it was lucky I was at home with a multi-tool and some wire that I was eventually able to fish it out. If that had of happened on a hunt, I'm not sure how I would have been able to get it out.

The second one was I found a large defect in the pole that ran about 8-9 inches up the pole. Looks like the pole has splintered. In the photos you can see the fibres sticking out when the pole is under only minor load.

Are these things common with the carbon poles or did I just get duds? I have been very delicate with them when setting the tent up so I don't know how this could of happened. I have contacted customer service and will wait to hear back from them, but if this is a common thing with the carbon poles I might end up going with the aluminium ones. I must say I am pretty disappointed in its performance for what is usually a $1000 AUD tent...

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_9038.JPG
    IMG_9038.JPG
    396.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9046.JPG
    IMG_9046.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9040.JPG
    IMG_9040.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9047.JPG
    IMG_9047.JPG
    125.9 KB · Views: 35
Can't comment on KUIU, but Hilleberg specifically refuses to use carbon fiber poles and they're pretty universally considered the top tent maker in the world.

I would contact customer service and see if they'd exchange them for aluminum.

Any update from Kuiu CS?

Yeah, they said that definitely shouldn’t be happening and have sent new poles. They were helpful with helping me decide on carbon vs aluminium. I went with the carbon again. If they break again I will go with the aluminium.

But honestly they got back to me really quickly and were super helpful. Overall a really good customer service experience.

Yeah, they said that definitely shouldn’t be happening and have sent new poles. They were helpful with helping me decide on carbon vs aluminium. I went with the carbon again. If they break again I will go with the aluminium.

But honestly they got back to me really quickly and were super helpful. Overall a really good customer service experience.

Thanks for the update. I've been considering purchasing a Storm Star and this is helpful. I'm glad Kuiu took care of the issue.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update. I've been considering purchasing a Mountain Star and this is helpful. I'm glad Kuiu took care of the issue.

I really like the tent other than the initial issues. One thing he did say was that the aluminium poles are only 64 grams heavier so not really a perceptible weight difference in your pack than the carbon. It’s just that the carbon flex less in high winds so that’s why I went with the carbon again.

I think what you get for the price is really fair.

Back