Kuiu Refuge Hot Tent?

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Who has experience with the 3P as a hot tent setup?
d44c8617f7dd70761f7bc68d4ac39872.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brianb3

WKR
Love mine. Not the stock stove jack. Had a custom one made

Top is KUIU
Bottom is a custom guy who’s name floats around here from time to time. Forget the name
3b245701c5b22c372c48c37fd2377324.jpg

bca786734ae1cb344154e623ed00cfbd.jpg

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Love mine. Not the stock stove jack. Had a custom one made

Top is KUIU
Bottom is a custom guy who’s name floats around here from time to time. Forget the name
3b245701c5b22c372c48c37fd2377324.jpg

bca786734ae1cb344154e623ed00cfbd.jpg

Nice! Would really like if you could hook me up with that guy. How did you attach it to the tent?

Also, plenty of room for two guys and gear with a stove?

What stove do you have in it?

I’m full of questions, lol…

jolemons

WKR
I know you weren't asking me, but I would never consider running a stove in mine with two. IMO one with stove would be fine for solo use. Two with gear is doable, but still pretty tight, without a stove.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I know you weren't asking me, but I would never consider running a stove in mine with two. IMO one with stove would be fine for solo use. Two with gear is doable, but still pretty tight, without a stove.

Thanks for the feedback. You don’t think you could do stove snd wood in the small vestibule, sleep two guys longways in middle snd gear in the larger vestibule? That’s what seems to be the theme I’ve seen with what little info is available online.

jolemons

WKR
Definitely could be done, but it would be very tight especially with more gear, like bows. Climbing over each other and your gear kind of tight. Not the way I enjoy spending multiple days, but I'm sure it's been done. I mostly use mine as a solo tarp shelter and it's perfect for that.

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely could be done, but it would be very tight especially with more gear, like bows. Climbing over each other and your gear kind of tight. Not the way I enjoy spending multiple days, but I'm sure it's been done. I mostly use mine as a solo tarp shelter and it's perfect for that.

Thanks again.

Poser

WKR
Surprise surprise. Kuiu launches a non clothing item that fails in the field. Who would have ever imagined? Has KUIU had 1 single successful launch of a non clothing item?

I have a Mountainsmith Mtn Tarp with a stove Jack which is a very similar design. I have slept 2 with a stove but I was tight. No fat boys allowed, for sure. If the guy on the stove side has to piss, we both had to get out. I don’t think we kept our packs in the tent, but we crammed woods into every available space. Fine for 1, doable for 2 guys who don’t mind being cramped.

Last edited:

Brianb3

WKR
Surprise surprise. Kuiu launches a non clothing item that fails in the field. Who would have ever imagined? Has KUIU had 1 single successful launch of a non clothing item?

I have a Mountainsmith Mtn Tarp with a stove Jack. I have slept 2 with a stove but I was tight. No fat boys allowed, for sure. If the guy on the stove side has to pose, we both had to get out. I don’t think we kept our packs in the tent, but we crammed woods into every available space. Fine for 1, doable for 2 guys who don’t mind being cramped.

The tents ******* awesome. The stove jack sucks. But like you with a sewed in jack. Perfection

OP
ajbailey21

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Well, some of you guys warned me. But I did it anyways and bought refuge 3P with stove jack. Took it to Colorado late season and we got dumped on one night with snow. Got a little off kilter and melted the stove jack and the zipper fly, we caught it before it got too bad.

That said, I reached out to Kuiu and told them what happened and the product simply doesn't work for it's intended purpose as it has NO margin for error or elements. They stood by the product and are going to issue me a full refund. Awesome customer service from them, all they had to do was say it was operator error, or offer me a replacement, but because I said I didn't trust it in the field, they offered a refund (because it was within 6 months of purchase).

It's a pretty good tent otherwise, but it's a little tight with 3 guys and a stove and gear, i don't like the 2 poles setup all that much either.

I ordered a cimarron instead. I think it's going to work out better overall.