Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter Boot Review (Series)

Brady R

FNG
Classified Approved
For the past year, I have been on the search for a new set of boots that would take the place of the Zamberlan 981 Wasatch GTX that I have been wearing for the past 3 years. My hunting consists of high country mule deer, elk, and any other tag I can get my hands on. Other than hunts, I also wear the same boots for work - where I am constantly in the mountains and hiking hundreds of miles a year.

The boot I landed on was the Lathrop and Sons Mountain Hunter with their Synergy Footbed. Unlike other Lathrop and Sons reviews on the internet, I did not go for the custom foot mapping kit. My budget doesn’t warrant a custom boot, so here we are. This review will occur in real time, over the next few months. With a rather dry beginning to winter, I’m excited to get them out on dirt trails, up on some alpine ridges, and then in the snow. On to the boots.

My first impression is that the Mountain Hunters are solid. Everywhere. There is no part of this boot that appears to have been looked over or compromised on. I was eager to put them on and lace them up and within a minute of opening the box, they were on my feet. The feeling that came to mind once I had them on was a great sense of relief. Many times in the past have I had high hopes for a pair of boots, only to put them on and be disappointed in the fit, feel, or construction. That is not the case with the Mountain Hunters. They fit true to size, are not overly narrow like I find most hunting boots, and the synergy footbeds are exactly what I look for in an insole: full cushion and great support. The added padding and cushion in the heel/achilles area of the boot is an outstanding feature, locking the heel in and adding comfort. I’ve never put on a pair of boots for the first time and been so assured in my choice.

Before taking them out of the house, I applied 2 coats of the Grangers Leather Conditioner that L&S recommends. This conditioner changed the color of the boot slightly, from their classic light olive drab color, to a darker, matte finished appearance that I actually prefer. With the conditioner applied, it was time to get outside.

My first hike was an easy 4 miles, with only a few hundred feet of elevation gain and loss. The goal of this first hike was to get a sense of how these boots feel going up and downhill, and get a good idea of how long of a break in period I’ll be expecting. I’m writing this only a few hours after the hike, still have the boots on, and am more impressed as time goes on. Even with a relatively stiffer sole, the Mountain Hunters are outstanding to walk in, and have caused no foot fatigue. I spend 90% of my time in a stiff pair of boots, so I may just be accustomed to this style of boot, but nevertheless, they felt great. I expect these boots to get better and better over the next 20-30 miles, and am looking forward to continuing this review process over the upcoming weeks and months. My plan is to continually add to this review as miles add up and time goes on, all the way to next season. I may throw in other reviews along the way with tents, tarps, packs, stoves, and whatever else I use. If anyone has any questions or talking points feel free to direct message me on here. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next review once I hit 20 miles in the Mountain Hunters.

cscott0708

FNG
Classified Approved
I have a custom pair on order and look forward to getting them to try out.

Stave

Lil-Rokslider
To OP, I'm following this, looking forward to your review of the boots. I'm looking for the right pair of boots for Backcountry hunting and hauling. Sturdy but not stiff.

OP
Brady R

Brady R

FNG
Classified Approved
Hello, how did you find the Sizing? What size are you in a Nike running Shoe and what size boot did you get?

I just got my boots and feel they might be .5 size too small when going downhill. Thanks
I found the sizing a tad small as well. I’m usually in between sizes so it isn’t an issue for me but it is close. I usually wear a 12 in everything so I got the 12 and it works. I’m sure if I liked to wear real thick socks it might get a little cramped.

pirogue

WKR
I use to have a pair of those, wore them several years, even had them reaoled, and/ or sent them in for a leak issue. Great customer service, got em back and wore several years. I’m not sure what the “mapping” entails, but I sent in a pencil outline and some measurements asked of me. Fit great, which they should if you sent in an outline. Seems like about $400, but maybe that was longer ago than I think.

I am a size 10.5 in kenetrek mountain extreme and guide. These boots just work very well for my flat feet.

I tried to reinvent the wheel. Like most of us tend to do.

So I purchased a set of the L&S mountain hunter. I ordered a size 11 for my true 10.5 and they fit very well.

The L&S are much stiffer than the kenetreks. I like the boots for high country pursuits. They are awesome in shale and scree. Not so fun to walk in on flat ground.

I like the L&S and the customer service is top notch.

But I still find myself going back to the kenetreks. They just work for my feet a little better.

I am a size 10.5 in kenetrek mountain extreme and guide. These boots just work very well for my flat feet.

I tried to reinvent the wheel. Like most of us tend to do.

So I purchased a set of the L&S mountain hunter. I ordered a size 11 for my true 10.5 and they fit very well.

The L&S are much stiffer than the kenetreks. I like the boots for high country pursuits. They are awesome in shale and scree. Not so fun to walk in on flat ground.

I like the L&S and the customer service is top notch.

But I still find myself going back to the kenetreks. They just work for my feet a little better.
i had the same experience! went from my tried and trued kenetreks to the L&S and will now be going back to kenetreks. kenny's just fit right for me.