Leupold GR 10-20x40mm Compact

dtrkyman

WKR
Any feedback on this spotter, looking for light weight just not sure about the 20x being enough, it is double my bino's so I think it would do for me, but at this price not sure of the optical quality?

Mostly for Mule deer in the mountains at this point and I am not trying to judge between a 160-170

Thanks

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
I use to have one. I picked it up locally for a good price (used) with the intent of having something to get a little closer look (vs my binos) without having to pack a big spotter (had a Theron Saker at the time). I wanted to use it free-handed, or leaning against something solid... but found out I didn't really gain anything over my binos when freehanded, so I ended up trying it on a tripod too. I also remember the field of view seeming pretty narrow, and the focus knob was kind of strange to manipulate while trying to keep things steady. Honestly... I wasn't too impressed with it and ended up selling it and getting a Nikon ED50 (which I would say is far superior). I've gone through countless spotters and binocs since then, but that little 10-20x40 Gold Ring was never missed. For what it's worth, I no longer own a little spotter -- I'll take 8x and 15x binos just about everywhere, and sometimes my big spotter.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I was looking at 15s but that spotter is light! Planned on finding deer with Binos and taking a better look with those, also for checking the shadows.

Probably keep looking around for something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have the gr 15-30. I think it does a pretty good job for what it is - affordable, 21 oz. little spotter than gives me a bit of a better look at stuff. Sure, a better spotter is nice to have, but I usually hike lots and a bigger spotter just never made it into my pack due to weight.

Ben RT

Lil-Rokslider
It is indeed light (like right at 1lb). The Nikon ED50 is pretty darn light too (maybe 4 or 5 oz more). I remember being extremely impressed with the ED50 after that little Leupold, and I'd definitely get one of them before the GR 10-20x40. Not trying to talk bad about Leupold, as I really love the brand and their CS has been great to me... but that little spotter wasn't worth it for me. I have heard the 15-30x50 Leupold Gold Ring is a pretty decent piece of glass too.

I had a 15-30x50, wasn’t impressed. Recently picked up a little Kowa 502, which is amazingly clear for the price and weight. I’d suggest looking into the smallest Kowas before you buy a Leupold.

otownskier

FNG
Classified Approved
I had a 15-30x50, wasn’t impressed. Recently picked up a little Kowa 502, which is amazingly clear for the price and weight. I’d suggest looking into the smallest Kowas before you buy a Leupold.
I was thinking the same thing. How do you like the Kowa?