Light Weight Grill Grate

Johnboy

WKR
I'm looking for a simple grill grate for grilling moose/caribou steaks or grayling filets over an open fire. I'd like to find something that weighs well under a pound but is long enough to span a small fire with room for two 12oz steaks. If you've done this before, what worked best for you?

Thanks!

Johnboy

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsmans warehouse sells grills that are replacements for smokers. Cost less than $10, weighs a few ounces and work great for grilling or just having a pot on the fire for boiling water.

cbeck36

Lil-Rokslider
I went to scrap yard and grabbed some shelving out of a fridge. The guy gave me two for free. The small ones fit nicely in a pack.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Old fridge shelves are known killers when used over fires - cadmium transfers to the food. Not sure if newer shelves are ok, although newer ones all seem coated in plastic or vinyl.

I've used one of these hard for almost a decade now. It's been over hundreds of fires. I like that the legs are there, so no gathering rocks or balancing needed if you don't have the time. Also nice in the winter when all the rocks are under snow. I always wish it was 1-2 inches wider, but I've put some pretty large lake trout fillets on it before and let em hang off a little. Most Coghlans type stuff is junk but this thing has held up well - only a little warping. Don't know the exact weight, but I'd wager it's under a pound for sure.

http://www.coghlans.com/products/pack-grill-8770

TxTrapper

Lil-Rokslider
Just go to Walmart or other store and look at the cookie or cake cooling racks and pick what size you want.
Here's one that works and doesn't weigh much at all.....

image.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Those little coghlan ones do fine. Take two if you need more space.

IMG_1257.jpg

charvey9

WKR
Ruta Locura has a small Titanium one that I carry. Its only 4"x11", but works great for fish and other small camp cooking. Only weighs an ounce. Of course though, my favorite back country grill is just using a nice flat rock.

PNWGATOR

WKR
One hundred percent satisfied with my Purcell Trench grill. They're expensive, but you will not find a finer, purpose built grill grate for cooking over a fire in the backcountry. I'd buy another without question.

One hundred percent satisfied with my Purcell Trench grill. They're expensive, but you will not find a finer, purpose built grill grate for cooking over a fire in the backcountry. I'd buy another without question.

Another happy Purcell trench grill ownder

Aluminum arrows and bicycle spokes. Larger diameter arrows will contain the spokes. Drill holes in the arrow sections to put spokes through. Less than a pound and works well. Packs down to nothing.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
Another happy Purcell Trench user here. I have the regular travelers grill and it works for just about anything I use it for.