Lightweight Arrows

dylaneh

FNG
It is hunting season where I am currently, I have my hunting arrows all tuned and fetched the way I want and they are flying great.

In 2024 however, I plan to do TAC and I want to build some light arrows. I am pretty much set on shooting the Victory RIP XV 300 spine, I use this company for my hunting arrows and think their stuff is quality. I am considering doing a very light 15-grain Iron Will HIT insert, a 10-grain insert collar, and a 100-grain field point. I'll have a 4-inch arrow wrap and TAC Driver 2.75" vanes.

I have not bought any components yet so I wanted to get some feedback here first. I want the arrows to be as light as possible but still fly well. I am worried that my FOC on this arrow will not be high enough and I will get some parachuting at long ranges.

I could always go up in weight on Inserts, collars, and field points, but I kind of want to get them as close to perfect as I can on the first build. That being said I wanted to get some more advice on possible parachuting down range and maybe some things to think about that I haven't.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
You could also look at the podium archer 30 grain titanium insert for an extra 5 grains up front. Used his 50 grain inserts on my recent rip rko build and am very happy with the fit and finish. Then lose the wrap if your really trying to maximize your foc

Why not just use the glue in bullet points?

Put 120 in the front and roll with it. Don't worry about where the FOC falls. Without broadheads just use a straight offset fletch.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not likely to have parachuting issues, if you want a slight bump in foc lose the wrap and bump up point weight or insert slightly.

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Serious question. Why not just run your hunting arrows? Once my bow is tuned and I'm bare shaft shooting bullet holes I'd hate to adjust things so I can shoot a different arrow at shoots. TAC is fun, but I don't see a reason to have a different arrow outside the one I've built already. Not talking smack and I see a lot of guys build lighter arrows for TAC, NWMC, etc. Always been curious why?

Luked

WKR
If I were to shoot TAC i would use exactly what I would be hunting with. To me thats the point of TAC. Real World shooting situations in the mountains. Cuts, steep angles, Etc.

Marble

WKR
Why not just use the glue in bullet points?

Put 120 in the front and roll with it. Don't worry about where the FOC falls. Without broadheads just use a straight offset fletch.
This right here. Something like the Smith Brothers points. They are made to be able to break off portions to tune the pint weight a bit. I've been shooting these for a few years and really like them.

I want to make my 3d arrow simple, light and strong. I like the Victory 3DHV 300 spine arrows. But my criticism is they are fragile.

With 3d shoots, I prefer the arrows that are a bit stronger. I've had people pull my arrows and break them, had arrows hit my arrows etc.

So keep the point simple.

For the back end, invest in bushings and pin nocks. It will save you arrows for when another arrows hit the back of yours. It will ruin the nock and bushing, but save your arrow....usually.

I switched to the black eagle X impact for 3d. Seems tougher.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk