Lightweight ruger american stock upgrade

GRS Sporter would be a good option. The GRS stocks have some of the best ergonomics of any stock on the market.

EJ

11boo

WKR
I looked them up too. Very nice but 3 lbs is getting chunky for a field. No free lunch. Flimsy factory super light that kinda works, or gain some weight for a more rigid and much nicer design. Thanks Paul.

My Ruger is in 6.5, so recoil isn’t an issue, but if I get one in .308 I wouldn’t mind gaining a little weight.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I looked them up too. Very nice but 3 lbs is getting chunky for a field. No free lunch. Flimsy factory super light that kinda works, or gain some weight for a more rigid and much nicer design. Thanks Paul.
Good luck! I believe the RA is the best cheap rifle in the world, I own a few and I laugh how well it shoots at the range for 300 bucks. Lot of dead killed with a RA. Did you do the spring trick on the trigger?

11boo

WKR
All I did was use the screw adjustment to get a better pull. Probably could be better. IDK how Ruger did it, cheapo gun that just shoots very well. There is a guy who shoots long range precision at cameo that does really well with his, and he shoots against 5k$ guns.

If you’re ever in Grand jct it is well worth a trip.
IMG_2060.jpeg

Some weights for anyone else who is bored and overthinking things waiting for season to open

Attachments

• IMG_E0208.JPG
    IMG_E0208.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_E0210.JPG
    IMG_E0210.JPG
    259.9 KB · Views: 104

Loper

WKR
I know Oregunsmithing will make a lightweight Pendleton stock for the RA, but it costs about $700 I believe.

OP
W

whoami-72

Lil-Rokslider
Well ladies and gents, here's my results. I decided to try the old epoxy in the fore end trick. Before doing so, my stock weighed 1lb 10.2 Oz. After doing so, my stock weighed 1lb 10.1 Oz.

Lol, I didn't invent some new weightloss routine even thoigh it would mean a life fortune for me. Unfortunately I thought I could mix the epoxy in the fore end using tooth picks and avoid having to make a mess slathering mixed epoxy everywhere. I was very wrong. The epoxy didn't mix well enough and only halfway solidified. Thankfully, I was able to pull it all out.

So, how did I lose an ounce? Well, I chamfered the vertical pieces of the fore end. It's still spongyer than a chassis or extremely rigid stock but it doesn't touch the barrel anymore and that's good enough for me.

khuber84

WKR
Well ladies and gents, here's my results. I decided to try the old epoxy in the fore end trick. Before doing so, my stock weighed 1lb 10.2 Oz. After doing so, my stock weighed 1lb 10.1 Oz.

Lol, I didn't invent some new weightloss routine even thoigh it would mean a life fortune for me. Unfortunately I thought I could mix the epoxy in the fore end using tooth picks and avoid having to make a mess slathering mixed epoxy everywhere. I was very wrong. The epoxy didn't mix well enough and only halfway solidified. Thankfully, I was able to pull it all out.

So, how did I lose an ounce? Well, I chamfered the vertical pieces of the fore end. It's still spongyer than a chassis or extremely rigid stock but it doesn't touch the barrel anymore and that's good enough for me.
Alternative yet hopefully successful results!

Let's give some CPR to this thread...

MDT just announced their field stock for the Ruger. 3.1 pounds. Very much worth a pound extra over factory.

terryda

FNG
Check with Ruger to see if the gun is in warranty. If so, tell Ruger the issue about the stock being warped and touching the front left area of the barrel. very common issue. Had it with a Savage as well. They will send you a new stock which will be straight. Issue fixed.

zdc1775

FNG
Read a while back about a guy who put a couple arrow shafts into the forend of a stock to stiffen it up.

Another thought would be to buy a boyds. Then get out the rasps and shave it down

I did that with my first RA, it helped a lot. I used a router to slot the honeycomb and then epoxied the shafts in place. The most difficult part was trying to get the shafts wedged in-between the front of the magwell and the end of the stock without damaging the stock or arrows.

If I were to do it again I would probably use a long drill bit and bore it completely through the front of the stock to the magwell.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Boyd's has most of their lineup available for the RA. I just put a feather light thumbhole on mine in .223 and it is a huge improvement. Solid, stable, and a joy to shoot. For those that don't care for the thumbhole, their Pro varmint has a pretty vertical grip and the comb is pretty inline with the bore.

1704317494670.png