Looking for a new bow and wanting suggestions

Alright folks, it’s time for me to upgrade my bow. I’m currently shooting a pse x force gx that I’ve owned since 2012 or so. This is the second bow I’ve ever owned (2 bows in 16 years) and haven’t ever really been in love with it since I bought it. I’m not one to change bows very often but definitely should have parted ways with this one long ago. I do not like the draw cycle at all. That being said here are the specs that I believe I would like based on the bows I’ve owned and shot.

-Left handed
-32-34 ATA
-60-65 pound draw weight
-28” draw length
-7” brace height
-easy to tune/work on (I do my own tuning and maintenance)

I am perfectly ok buying a bow that is used or even several years old. Left handed seems to be the issue when I go into shops looking to shoot a variety of different bows.

I have shot and hunted with two bows that are 30” ATA (borrowed from a buddy to try out) that I really didn’t care for. Not really sure why I didn’t care for them other than they just seemed too compact. Possibly too short of a bow for my draw length? Either way, a little longer bow seems to be more comfortable for me and a little more forgiving. This leads to my next spec/question.

My first bow had a 7 inch brace height and I shot it extremely well. For my second and current bow, I bought into the speed hype and shorter brace height and I just don’t seem to shoot this bow as well. Maybe brace height is to blame? Maybe it’s just that the bow doesn’t fit me real well. Any insight into brace height is welcomed.

The last thing I’ve noticed about the newer bows is that they seem to be fairly complicated when it comes to tuning. Maybe it’s just me and my lack of experience working on lots of different bows but it seems that way.

Having said all this I’m looking for recommendations on bows you all have experience with that fit these specs. The two bows that have caught my eye so far are the pse evo nxt 33 and the elite impulse 34. Any insight on these two bows would be appreciated also.

PennDude

FNG
I shopped for bows last year to replace my 2008 Mathews DXT. In the process I shot everything I could get my hands on. I was looking for a really efficient bow and great shootability. Two bows that I liked the most were the Mathews Halon 32 (6" brace height) and the Elite Ritual 33. Those two bows had buttery smooth draw cycles, rock solid back walls, and just generally shot really well for me. I don't tune bows, but I would imagine that the Halon 32 is going to be a little bit less user friendly to tune because of the top hat shims. I ended up purchasing a used Halon 32 and I could not be happier with it. I think I would be just as happy with the Ritual 33 though. I have never shot the Impulse 34, but if it shoots anything like the Ritual, I think you'll love it.

peterk123

WKR
Take my two cents with a grain of salt but here goes....

I, like you, prefer a longer ATA. They are getting harder and harder to find. But the long risers on modern bows do help with stability a lot. At a 28 inch draw, string angle should not be an issue. I shot a 2005 Old Glory (Bowtech) up until a year and half ago. 7.5 inch brace height. I was petrified of these sub 7 inch brace heights but I was shocked at how stable these bows have become. I shoot a Realm X (29 inch draw) and I cannot believe how stable that bow is at full draw and after the release. BTW, that bow gets you to the ATA length you are looking for. I was not after speed, I was looking for a smoother draw cycle and stability. My Old Glory was stable but the draw was giving me a hard time when I got very cold sitting in a tree. The Realm at 63 pounds feels like 53. And the back wall is insane in comfort mode. It happens to be quite fast too. I just shot a doe the other day; through the vertebrae then the heart then solidly into the inside of the shoulder. Pinned the leg. It never moved, just dropped. The broadhead was buried in the shoulder.

As for tuning. It has never been easier to tune a bow than it is today. I use a bicycle workstand and a bowmaster for anything that requires twisting a string. Draw length on almost every bow can be performed without any press. Bowtech also has some new technology that allows you to tune a bow without a press. I am not up on that one though. Having the draw length adjust easily is awesome. I shortened my draw by an inch because I shot so much better. I think most of tend to use too long of a draw. It is really nice to just use an allen wrench to experiment.

Go onto archerytalk.com. Check out the classifieds. Lefties pop up all the time there. Some of those guys are swapping bows more often than I do my socks. There are also some small dealers on there that sell leftover bows at great prices. My Bowtech Realm X was brand new, but a half or one season old. $750 shipped to my door. You can't beat that.

Pete

Do yourself a favor and go shoot the Elite Remedy. I shot it last week, and it was an absolute joy!!

That Remedy is all that! I felt the peak weight felt early in the draw cycle, but it transitioned into the smoothest of the draw cycles REALLY quickly. It's almost frightening how 70 lbs. felt compared to my Option 6 at 63. Held easily and rock steady with the string stop. Vibration was minimal even with nothing on it but a whisker biscuit.

I have an Elite Kure on the way, but I have a feeling I may need to make a decision on it or the Remedy.

Not quite 7” BH, but it seemed terrific nonetheless. https://www.elitearchery.com/product/remedy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I would agree with the post above on the Elite Remedy. Man do great to hear that your interested in a 7 inch brace, that is a very wise choice. Other options would be the Bowtech Revolt X, either the PSE NXT 33, or the 35.

I prefer 7inch brace height bows for hunting as well. I think you're limiting yourself though by sticking to exactly 7 inches. There are some really forgiving bows out there between 6.5 and 7. For example:

Mathews Traverse (6.625)
Bowtech Realm X, Revolt X(6.5)
Athens Ridge 32 and 34(6.75)
Xpedition Denali (6.875)
Hoyt Ultra models (6.75)
Elite Ritual 33 (6.75)
Elite Kure (6.5)
PSE Evolve 35 EC, Evoke 35 (6.875)
Prime Centergy, CT 3, Black 3 (6.5)
All the above models are within your 32-34 inch ata requirement.

Some 7 inch Brace models between 32-34ATA:

Mathews Halon 32-7
Xpedition Mountaineer
Xpedition xcentric 7, xcursion 7
Obsession has had a 7 inch BH model in the line for a long time, all very similar in design with sutble changes.
PSE Evo NXT 33
Hoyt Defiant 34, Pro Defiant 34

Hopefully these give you some ideas to start researching, and this is by far not an exhaustive list just what I could remember off the top of my head.

Oh and FYI, the Elite Impulse 34 has a 6 inch BH, I think you would be remiss not to check out the Energy 35, a much better bow in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I prefer 7inch brace height bows for hunting as well. I think you're limiting yourself though by sticking to exactly 7 inches. There are some really forgiving bows out there between 6.5 and 7. For example:

Mathews Traverse (6.625)
Xpedition Denali (6.875)
Hoyt Ultra models (6.75)
Elite Ritual 33 (6.75)
Elite Kure (6.5)

Mathews Halon 32-7
Xpedition Mountaineer
Obsession has had a 7 inch BH model in the line for a long time, all very similar in design with sutble changes.
PSE Evo NXT 33

Hopefully these give you some ideas to start researching, and this is by far not an exhaustive list just what I could remember off the top of my head.

Oh and FYI, the Elite Impulse 34 has a 6 inch BH, I think you would be remiss not to check out the Energy 35, a much better bow in my opinion.

Good info.

I'm a Hoyt fan and my suggestion would be a Defiant 34. It's not a speed bow but they do seem to retain speed better under less than perfect settings, i.e. less than 70lbs, heavier arrows, shorter than 30" draw length. I have a silver Defiant 34" that for me is the easiest bow I've ever shot.
A lot of guys like to talk about how "smooth" a bow is and at least some of them will pick a new bow because of that and don't realize that its "smooth" because it is similar to their old bow. If the draw curve is much different, they say it's "stiff" because they aren't used to the weight where it is.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
PSE's Evolve cams are super smooth, no harsh drop into let off, stupid easy to adjust, plenty fast. I just picked up a used Evoke 35 and am really digging it. My dl is 30.5" and the 35" ata feels great. My requirements are close to yours; ~7" bh, 33 + ata, 65lb dw. I would definitely recommend checking out the new PSE's.

OP
L

Mathews Traverse (6.625)
Xpedition Denali (6.875)
Hoyt Ultra models (6.75)
Elite Ritual 33 (6.75)
Elite Kure (6.5)

Mathews Halon 32-7
Xpedition Mountaineer
PSE Evo NXT 33

I don’t post often but when I do this type of reply is what I always hope to get. Thank you for taking the time sir. Also thanks for pointing out the brace height on the impulse. Not sure how I missed that. Keep the suggestions coming folks.

Zac

WKR
I would hold on for a little while and see what new bows hit the market. Even if you don't buy new you will get a discount on this year's models.

OP
L
You guys have been a big help so far. Thanks and keep them coming. I’d like to make a purchase around the first of the year so I’ve got plenty of time to research.

Join the Elite groups on Facebook, you will find a screaming deal for something that fits your criteria.

I haven’t shot a Ritual 33, but I would put that and the Ritual 35 ahead of the Impulse 34 based on specs and ArcheryTalk feedback.

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
PSE EVO NTN. Love mine. 27.75” DL. It’s so smooth and shoots super consistent.

ZDR

WKR
I was in my local shop yesterday looking at the new bows...Matthews has some interesting bows this year. The V3 is only 31 ATA, but shoots like a 32-33 ata bow. The riser is way long. They also have a 34" TRX out, but its price is over the top.
The Hoyt Ventum 33 is a nice bow as well. Looking forward to more feedback on that.

406unltd

WKR
It’s a must to just go into the shop keeping an open mind and shoot them all. One or two will stand out to you and the grip will be perfect or close to and then y find the one you want. Lots of good bows out there but the right one for you can’t be chosen by someone besides yourself.

Zac

WKR
One thing I would do is eliminate options based on your size before you go in the door. Know the brace height and the lowest ATA that you will accept. Mathews has sold more bows than any other company by people shooting at 5 feet with no accessories. Dead in the hand and noise should be way down on your list of buyer bullet points. Absolutely do not buy a shorter bow than your draw length. If you hunt in cold weather take your puffy jacket with you and make sure the string isn't hitting it.