Lots of mules headed west

netman

WKR
This past weekend my wife and I went to the Reese Brothers mule sale in Crossville Tennessee. The western outfitters were heavily represented.
There was several Montana buyers sitting together bidding and buying many mules.
Same with the Wyoming and Colorado guys.
I had a mule up for auction and he went to one of the western guys.
Top mule was around $11k
There were some really good buys at this auction.

wysongdog

WKR
How good was the top selling mule? Seems like good horseflesh is getting harder and harder to find and therefore pushing the prices up. But life’s to short to ride bad ponies. I’ve got a fancy gaited mule in the salmon sale that I just didn’t get along with but is crazy fancy and solid. Hoping she does well and I can find a couple more to replace her with.

I hope to be in the market for a few mules in a about 18 mos. Curious as I have seen some great mules and have never owned them but a couple buddies swear by them. My question if come across what seems a good one for that owner what are the odds the same mule will be good for me? Meaning he may like and respect the owner but for some reason not like me?? or am I overthinking it?

It is hard to find reliable stock this here, I'm seeing stuff from Texas selling here in MT.

I hope to be in the market for a few mules in a about 18 mos. Curious as I have seen some great mules and have never owned them but a couple buddies swear by them. My question if come across what seems a good one for that owner what are the odds the same mule will be good for me? Meaning he may like and respect the owner but for some reason not like me?? or am I overthinking it?
I am in the same exact boat! buddy loves them but I have the same concern as you.! I really want a mule but a litle gunshy as I am not what i would consider an accomplished horse person either but definitely getting back into it in the nex 18 mos.

wyosteve

WKR
In general, if a mule is good it will stay that way unless the new owner does something to offend it! Having said that however, I analogize mules with cats. They all have a different temperament and seem to prefer/gravitate to certain people. I've had some that I'm clearly their 'person' and others that were good mules, but were more comfortable with the wife.