Meat tenderizer question

JjamesIII

WKR
Do they have any noticeable effect on your final product? I know butchers run tougher cuts through them. But as I’m chewing this sorry steak they passed off as a NY strip, I’m beginning to wonder if they actually do anything?
I’ve had decent results using mallets to break down tough cuts for certain other dishes, including poultry. But it can be messy and a little more work.
I personally believe the age class of the animal has one of the greatest effects of meat quality. Rutted up “trophy” aged buck isn’t comparable to a younger doe. For the record, I have only gone full veal once or twice when I misjudged the doe at a distance in gun season. Definitely was tender table fare, and the pack out was embarrassingly easy. I try to target second year does when I’m out meat hunting.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
What temp did you cook it at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know where you’re going…..med rare. I grew up with my mother absolutely destroying every cut of steak and pork products because she would over cook the living hell out of it for the sake of “food safety”. I didn’t even know I liked chops until I tried them without going through my mom’s dehydrator - lol

Tod osier

WKR
I know where you’re going…..med rare. I grew up with my mother absolutely destroying every cut of steak and pork products because she would over cook the living hell out of it for the sake of “food safety”. I didn’t even know I liked chops until I tried them without going through my mom’s dehydrator - lol

Look into sous vide. By cooking for a long time at low temps (at basically the final intended temp), you break the meat down some, resulting in a more tender steak or roast. It isn't breaking down gristle into pulp, but does tenderize the meat.

It is easy to get into if you have a vacuum sealer already, you cook in the bags. Seal the meat with some salt, cook 3 or 4 hours at your intended doneness temperature and then sear quickly for color and flavor.

Ya, that’s one thing that gets so many people. They say how tough their game was and this and that but they’re eating it well done. Even the best meat tenderizer isn’t going to fix a well done elk or deer steak that’s for sure lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk