Mineral site

Looking to build a mineral
Site for the deer up in the mountains where I hunt . What are some mixes y’all use ? I figured get some trace mineral salt from the feed store but other than that any suggestions ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
dont over think this, deer and elk are after one thing in this the sodium. I just by trace mineral salt with selenium or just trace dont think I have ever noticed more or less pics with either its thousands of pics a month in the summer

OP
D
dont over think this, deer and elk are after one thing in this the sodium. I just by trace mineral salt with selenium or just trace dont think I have ever noticed more or less pics with either its thousands of pics a month in the summer

Yeah that’s what I was planning to grab do you add anything else or just the trace salt with selenium?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozyclint

WKR
It's a calcium and phosphorus supplement for livestock. Promotes healthy teeth and bone development as well as milk production. Antlers are bone and fawns drink milk.

Huntnnw

WKR
oregon is another and some other states its "illegal to HUNT over bait" doesnt say anything about putting it out in the summer for pictures. ID is one example. I run across hundreds of salt licks from people I even find them on google scouting

Yes, unfortunately Idaho does not disallow the placement of bait for taking photographs. IDFG does interpret any residue that is left in the soil as "bait" for the purposes of hunting big game and there is no statutory distance from the site or time from removal that makes hunting the area legal.

I'm sure it is heavily abused though.

Huntnnw

WKR
Yes, unfortunately Idaho does not disallow the placement of bait for taking photographs. IDFG does interpret any residue that is left in the soil as "bait" for the purposes of hunting big game and there is no statutory distance from the site or time from removal that makes hunting the area legal.

I'm sure it is heavily abused though.
I have a area that I hunt that probably has 10 salt licks that I know of in a square mile. IDFG better have picture proof or actually see you dump salt or they have nothing to go on.

I have a area that I hunt that probably has 10 salt licks that I know of in a square mile. IDFG better have picture proof or actually see you dump salt or they have nothing to go on.
I don't doubt it. And enforcement of this issue is certainly difficult. The question is, are you going to follow the law, or are you going to adopt an attitude that poaching is ok as long as you can get away with it?

When I was young, I found a site in the puckerbrush and packed in a couple bags of mineral salt in late spring.

When I returned in the fall I found heavily developed trails to get to the site, an area 100x150 ft that had been excavated by the elk and deer down 18 inches and heavy grazing.

The area had been over used by the animals all summer but was roughly barren by the october rifle season. When it got cold their interest in the salt diminished to nearly zero. The overuse all summer elimonated their interest in the fall. The trails focused other hunters into the area causing an overcrowded situation.

In closure I saw the error in my ways and am prone to putting out salt in really remote areas for the animals needs and rarely if ever return to the area.

Huntnnw

WKR
I don't doubt it. And enforcement of this issue is certainly difficult. The question is, are you going to follow the law, or are you going to adopt an attitude that poaching is ok as long as you can get away with it?
nothing to do with it, problem is there is so many in some states that almost every animal you take could be considered on a "lick" and you never placed it and or even knew about it. Area I hunt I bet 90% of the licks I have found are from outfitters.