MKC Alternative

Seconded on Argali Serac - very sharp on delivery and I find I can get traction with a variety of grip angles

I have both a MKC and a benchmade, both are great knives. MKC has a great program with the drops (I do not participate in them) but it allows them to sell what they make quickly instead of having a multiple knives on back order for an indertermined amount of time.

Following this as well. Even though MKC is local to me there's no way I'm playing that drop game. I joined an MKC Facebook group and had to bail quickly. The fanboyism with those guys is the stuff of legends.

I bought a Benchmade Hidden Canyon hunter last year and used it on a couple of deer. Insanely well designed blade shape and held an edge wonderfully. Also, easy to buy anywhere.
Plus 1 for the Hidden Canyon Hunter. Really like that knife.

A high quality custom made knife can often be bought for similar money as some of the knives being discussed.
Educate yourself on the good steel and go to a knife makers show. Beware of the 'knife kit assemblers' that frequent a lot of gun shows with cheap steel. Find a makerusing the higher quality steel and either buy one you like that he has in stock or order one to your own specs. That makes a super quality knife that you can use hard and pass down in your family.

Back