Montana Mule Deer district 300

Well, I got lucky and drew district 300 mule deer.. Anyone familiar with the district if they have seen any dandys in the previous few years? I saw a couple nice ones last season while elk hunting but just didn't spend enough time..

Gumbo

WKR
I have hunted that district a lot for the past several years and seen one good buck, maybe in the 175" range. I have also seen a handful of poached deer in the 160ish class that were confiscated, there's lots of pressure there for elk and it seems some folks don't read the regs (or notice the signs). I would definitely not consider it a great trophy unit but I would be amazed if there weren't at least a couple of really good bucks there in any given year. And it is really cool country, should be a fun hunt, congrats on the draw!

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t you hunt mule deer on a general tag in Unit 300? I just drew a General Big Game Combo and planned to hunt 300 or 302 this fall. I’m primarily after elk but wanted option to shoot a deer if opportunity presented itself. Am I missing something?

While there is a few folks here that have hunted that unit, I hear it gets a lot of traffic but is most of that in the northern and easter section which is closer to Lima and the main roads? I was looking at the SW section that is a little more isolated. Any comments on hunting pressure in that area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
alpinemule08
Oh it is certainly heavy with elk hunting pressure. And yes, you must apply and get the permit to hunt mule deer. I have switched over the years from 270, 130, and 300 for mule deer districts and have come to realize that nowdays MT has overall good opportunity for general mule deer but no truly amazing draw units. I am stoked on the draw and will put in serious time to find a 170+ buck or i will burn a tag.

Gumbo

WKR
Correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t you hunt mule deer on a general tag in Unit 300? I just drew a General Big Game Combo and planned to hunt 300 or 302 this fall. I’m primarily after elk but wanted option to shoot a deer if opportunity presented itself. Am I missing something?

While there is a few folks here that have hunted that unit, I hear it gets a lot of traffic but is most of that in the northern and easter section which is closer to Lima and the main roads? I was looking at the SW section that is a little more isolated. Any comments on hunting pressure in that area?

300 is a special draw.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Just checked the Regs again and I see we’re my wires were crossed. With the General Big Game Combo we can hunt antlerless mule deer, either sex whitetail, brow-tined elk, and antlerless elk. Basically everything but buck mule deer. Unit 302 I mentioned allows all the above.

One of the best bucks we saw last year was rutting with some does on the state land that has the short weapon restriction in place during the last weekend of the season. So probably wouldn't hurt to bring a shotgun or a ML with you incase you have that happens to you

Not particularly familiar with 300. But because this thread already has 100's of views and counting, I'd be sure to post where those unpressured spots are if I knew about em..

Last edited:

Joelweb

FNG
I think it'd be a fun hunt for a decent buck. I've seen bachelor groups hanging up high on sage benches on the peaks in the summer, and think it'd be a lot of fun during archery season. I'd probably hunt at the start of season and again during the rut in the middle of November.

I think the deer on the west side of the unit head into Idaho pretty early in the fall.

Regarding sharing information, the tag is so difficult to draw and there are so few of them, that I don't know how much difference it makes.

Last edited: