Montana Outfitter Combination License Question

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't found a good answer on this question. A friend and I will be applying with an outfitter that is in a permit area. That allows us to purchase an additional preference point at the time of application. This outfitter only works within the permit area. Assuming we draw the combination license, will we have to turn in our license if we don't draw the permit? Our odds are in the 20-30% range.

From the regs:
"► Outfitter clients are eligible to purchase a second preference point for an additional $100 at the time of application. Licenses issued using this point are only valid for hunting with an outfitter."

By permit area do you mean limited entry unit? Or is it a general unit?
I’m thinking you are talking about if you draw the general tag, but then don’t draw the limited entry unit, now what?
If you buy the 2nd point will draw the general ,which is the purpose of it. If you’re only 20-30% on the limited entry tag I wouldn’t hold my breath and I’d come up with plan B. I do believe you can use a different outfitter, you just can’t use that tag without an outfitter. I believe the Egg McMuffin guy found another one after his debacle.

Last edited:
Lots of outfitters have openings later in the game. After you get the draw results if you need to find another outfitter, go do the same thing you did when you found that one.
Yep, when I told the outfitters my plan of putting in for X, Y, and Z and then figuring out where I will go after the draws, they all say “well I won’t have any openings by then. I only have a couple left now for 2024”. Funny, I got email after email last July through early November from both these same outfitters as well as booking agents with tons of elk hunts still available….private land vouchers, etc. They are just trying to get deposit money…salesmanship is definitely part of the game.

Erict

WKR
Have you considered applying for the combo license with 0 PP (and having several options for the LE permit draw)? Your odds with 0 PP may not be much worse than 2 PP. If you draw the license but not the permit, you will still have a general tag, not be required to hunt with an outfitter, not be restricted to 1 unit, and save $200 in non-refundable PP.

You would still have the option to find another outfitter operating in a "general/non LE permit" area.

OP
M

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
Have you considered applying for the combo license with 0 PP (and having several options for the LE permit draw)? Your odds with 0 PP may not be much worse than 2 PP. If you draw the license but not the permit, you will still have a general tag, not be required to hunt with an outfitter, not be restricted to 1 unit, and save $200 in non-refundable PP.

You would still have the option to find another outfitter operating in a "general/non LE permit" area.
That's a great idea, but I do have 1 pp at this point. My bigger choice now is which refund option to elect.