More of less powder?

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Curious if I need more or less powder for the power belt .325 ELD bullet to tighten up the group below?

CVA Accura
777 100gr by volume
.295gr power belt (tighter pattern) top left was 3rd shot on a clean barrel (no cleaning between shots)
100yrds

1000001353.jpg

.325gr power belt ELD
100gr by volume 777
Clean barrel to start, did not swab in between.
100yrds

Purposefully did not adjust scope, just wanted to see grouping. Would adjust obviously if I could tighten it up. Just unsure of where to start, more or less.

1000001355.jpg

Rich M

WKR
Not trying to be rude but all you have is 2 3-shot groups?

Dial it over and shoot 10 more 3-shot groups. Then see if you need to do anything with it.

If so drop 5 gr at a time down to 90. If it wont shoot at 90, then try 105 and 110.

OP
Musky

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Not rude at all. To be clear, I've shot .295 for the last few years. Today I was just reverifying zero with the .295 bullets. So yea, only verified what I carry in the field, one loaded and 2 reloads.

I decided to try the heavier bullet as I now have the special tip for my pushrod. Have had the bullets lying around for the last two years and just wanted to try them.

This firearm needs at least some sort of cleaning after the third round. And the range was packed today so I only shot one 3 shot group of the heavier bullet this session.

And I misspoke earlier, I'm actually closer to 110gr by volume but just off the mark. My measure only goes by 10s so ballpark high 105gr. however shy of 110gr.

Rich M

WKR
I've shot from 90-110 gr with my Optima V2. If I'm blowing shots all over, I reduce the load - same as you are saying.

Half the fun in shooting is trying new stuff.

For cleaning, I use 1/2 alcohol & windshield washer fluid mix. 1 or 2 patches will clean it up pretty good. Then a dry patch and good to go. Worst part is the breech plug but can do with gun assembled.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
With that spread. I'd advise you to not waste powder or bullets, shooting more groups.

I always suggest starting at 80gr 2fg, especially with T7.

Clean the bore between shots with a water based cleaner. Windex works awesome and is cheap.

That's a huge spread for a scoped gun.

How old is your powder? What primers are you using?

Wrench

WKR
I would step back to 75 and see what happens. I couldn't get powerbelts to shoot to my expectations which is what turned me into a muzzleloader tuner. I had to find an Idaho legal system that shot. I ended up going to no excuses bullets and found all my guns shot the 495 well with an over powder wad and somewhere close to 80grs 3f 777 with a musket cap.

I'm now using swiss with the same bullets in my side lock and can print 300yd groups like the one you have posted. I'm not sure if it's the longer sight radius, better sight or the powder.....but the sidelock is amazing on target.....the swiss shot very well in my knight mk85 and vortek strikerfire as well.

OP
Musky

Musky

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate all the responses. Next session I'll drop some powder charge and see what happens. Maybe restart at 80 and work my way up like I did with the .295gr bullets. I was merely curious if I could get the .325gr to shoot on the same charge. Since they didn't I didn't know where to go. It was a lengthy process dialing in the .295 originally. Should probably find a different bullet for next year.

I like the Windex/alcohol/windshield cleaner for swabbing in between. Much cheaper than the Number 13 Bore cleaner I currently use.

Powder is probably close to pushing 2 years old at this point. Also running Winchester Triple Seven 209 primers. However, every store around here has zero primers in stock so I may have to hold out load testing the different bullet until next year. Same with powder, always a pain to even find any in stock around here.

I have read decent things on the no excuses bullets on this forum. I have been meaning to pick some up, just haven't yet.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, always start with fresh powder. The substitute powders generally do not last long compared to real black.

Never liked t7 personally. Way too inconsistent and never grouped well.

May consider trying a can of Pyrodex Rs next time. It's dirty and smells like the Mexican food you had 2 days ago, but I find it to be accurate and consistent.