MT Public Land Mountain Buck

Found a good one! There's some big deer up north in this state, but I'm hooked on these old crusty mountain bucks. Sorry about the super crappy blurr out photos. Can't be too careful these days
2e2fce2c4e714487058f11a501885db8.jpg
2ae1e6c63d6ac55577cd09709e2ee497.jpg
ef7fcc728417e9a8fe6f03556d73b724.jpg
1fa2dd167d07e55531227cbc2b4b2411.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Snowey79

Lil-Rokslider
Great buck, congrats one to be proud of

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
Jake Larsen
SWEET!!!

Why go anywhere else when you are getting ones like that!
Thanks! My thoughts exactly lol. But most guys around here are all about elk. They can have em haha. I put my time in archery for a bull, then it's all about the grey ghost for me

elkguide

WKR
I've shot a bunch of elk and a lot of "jerky donors" over the years but have yet to get on a really good mulie buck. They truly are grey ghosts and they don't get big/old by being stupid!

OP
Jake Larsen
I've shot a bunch of elk and a lot of "jerky donors" over the years but have yet to get on a really good mulie buck. They truly are grey ghosts and they don't get big/old by being stupid!
They certainly take some dedication. I just enjoy hunting them a lot more than elk with a boom stick, so it's easy for me to get motivated and put in the work.

mt100gr.

WKR
Thanks! My thoughts exactly lol. But most guys around here are all about elk. They can have em haha. I put my time in archery for a bull, then it's all about the grey ghost for me

Nice buck! Good work.

This is me to a "T". I'd shoot a cow every year on archery opener for groceries. Then it's mountain mule deer time!

OP
Jake Larsen
Nice buck! Good work.

This is me to a "T". I'd shoot a cow every year on archery opener for groceries. Then it's mountain mule deer time!
Where do you live? I'm assuming somewhere in MT based on your handle lol

mt100gr.

WKR
It's is tough hunting. We've found a handful of dandy bucks over the years but locating and getting a good shot into a "solid" mountain buck is my goal. Every now and then a great buck turns up.

I have a hard time passing on good bucks like yours though, if all the other aspects of the hunt have fallen into place. Luck can be fun but the reward is in the pursuit and commitment. It's a year-round kind of thing for me - lots of glassing post season, shed hunting, cameras, summer scouting, etc.

OP
Jake Larsen
It's is tough hunting. We've found a handful of dandy bucks over the years but locating and getting a good shot into a "solid" mountain buck is my goal. Every now and then a great buck turns up.

I have a hard time passing on good bucks like yours though, if all the other aspects of the hunt have fallen into place. Luck can be fun but the reward is in the pursuit and commitment. It's a year-round kind of thing for me - lots of glassing post season, shed hunting, cameras, summer scouting, etc.
I hear you... I chased 2 big bucks around this fall, saw them a couple times and never connected. Just couldn't pass this guy up when the opportunity presented itself. Was also just a dang fun hunt, at the end of a really fun hunting season. Picturesque place

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work! Cool deer, I love our heavy mountain bucks.

I'm bummed the season's over, I never turned up a good one but saw a ton of cool deer. There's a few I hope make it through the season/winter.

Scouting season starts tomorrow!