Mule deer rut method

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I’m going to be hunting mule deer from the end of the month (20th) to about the 8th of Dec with a bow (compound). Effective range is 40 yds and under. Any tips on how to get into the big bucks with so many eyes watching (does)? Country is rolling farm land and canyons with thick brush, sage, Russian olives, cattails, etc. Is watching them bed and stalk the only way?

MT

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
One of the boys I’m watching.

Attachments

• E014AF5C-7AC7-469D-8AD1-F53274D8655F.jpeg
    E014AF5C-7AC7-469D-8AD1-F53274D8655F.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 122
  • 845F869E-6300-4D60-B5BB-E751B326EF05.jpeg
    845F869E-6300-4D60-B5BB-E751B326EF05.jpeg
    216.1 KB · Views: 123

marktole

WKR
Suggestion #1: increase effective range to 60 yards, if possible, might be more of a project for the off season. Will make things much easier for you.

Suggestion #2: decoy it.
Might not work if it’s already with more than a few does.

Suggestion #3: watch the buck and does and wait for them to bed in the RIGHT spot for a stalk.
My buddy and I stalked to 55 yards on a buck and eight does a week ago in terrain real similar to your pics by waiting for the right opportunity.

Suggestion #4: Ambush it.
Where I’m at there is still a little bit of standing corn left and deer have been consistently going in it about 1 1/2 hours after first light. If the wind is right to wait between where they are and the corn a guy would have a good chance to shoot one. If you can get somewhat of a pattern on a group of deer you could try that technique, as long as the buck isn’t just randomly pushing them all over the place.

Get after it and good luck!

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
For me mule deer are easy to spot because of their butt is light colored and stands out. Yes I look for does because the boys are always looking for the girls. If I don't find any deer within a hour of glassing I move. The primary area that I hunt is badlands with cedar draws mixed with grass and sage. Now bucks can and do just materialize and I have miles to look at so I don't have to move much. I found a buck beded over a mile away and was able to stock over to the drainage he was at. When I got there I found 4 others and ended up arrowing a bigger one. After I arrowed the buck I found an even bigger buck with a loan doe. The doe took off with the bigger buck following her every move. Point is all of those bucks were right there because of one doe in heat. If you find one deer you will find more you just have to scan the area. Again, I have never hunted Idaho (yet) so I am not sure how things work there. I apply the same tactics in Colorado as I do in South Dakota. If you want you can PM me with other questions and I am sure others will give you more good advice.

OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
Suggestion #1: increase effective range to 60 yards, if possible, might be more of a project for the off season. Will make things much easier for you.

Suggestion #2: decoy it.
Might not work if it’s already with more than a few does.

Suggestion #3: watch the buck and does and wait for them to bed in the RIGHT spot for a stalk.
My buddy and I stalked to 55 yards on a buck and eight does a week ago in terrain real similar to your pics by waiting for the right opportunity.

Suggestion #4: Ambush it.
Where I’m at there is still a little bit of standing corn left and deer have been consistently going in it about 1 1/2 hours after first light. If the wind is right to wait between where they are and the corn a guy would have a good chance to shoot one. If you can get somewhat of a pattern on a group of deer you could try that technique, as long as the buck isn’t just randomly pushing them all over the place.

Get after it and good luck!

the goal to lengthen effective yards will happen in the off season but does need to happen. I like the idea of a decoy. Especially one I can hide behind might not spook the does as easy

What a fun hunt. I also have a rutting hunt with my bow in open country. The challenge is always getting close enough with all the eyes ears and noses. Not all those does are in heat. The ones that aren't, are doing what they do best, and do every day. And that's looking out for predators like bowhunters. And all it takes is one to see hear or smell you.

Patience is your biggest Ally. I've learned to crawl and use my bow as a crutch when crawling. If I get busted I get busted and I will glass another herd up and try it again. What a fun hunt! Best of luck?

Last edited:
OP
M

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
thanks for all the advice. Yesterday was the opener for the late archery hunt. I am lucky enough to work on a large farm, so I threw the bow in. I had a lot of other plans for the day wasn’t even thinking about getting it out except shoot a couple straw bales. But on my drive through the farm I saw a couple deer and stopped to glass. They were a couple of legal bucks. I wasn’t to interested cause I really wanted to bring my son along (4 yrs) and share in the experience. Well they moved to a spot we’re I thought I will just sneak up on them and “practice” my stalking. 30 min later I was in a good spot behind the only sagebrush around, listening to Mule Deer grunts , then our game the big boy I had been watching for months. Big thick and pretty wide 4x4, so I made a play on him. I got to 80 yards then the Doe busted me and walked off taking Goliath. (All the deer were in a canyon with cat tails, fragmites, and Kocha 5’ tall.) Since I was now in the open, I thought I would peak over the edge of the canyon. I stayed low and when I got to the edge saw 2 does and a nice 3x4 laying down. I thought I was busted, so I casually grabbed my range finder and ranged 50 yards. (The things going through my mind at that moment: oh crap I’m busted, why aren’t they moving, 50 yds that’s a little out of my comfort zone.) lucky for me a strong breeze in my face kept those deer from bolting, even though I was skylines and moving. So I got ready and when the doe got nervous and stood up so did Mr. Buck. I put my 50 pin right on him and it made a perfect quartering away shot. Went in behind the back right rib and came out just behind front left shoulder. I watched him run 80 yards and lie down and expire. So I went home picked up my son and we tracked the deer from the blood trail. He loved it!
This was my first time using a mechanical broad head and the Rage Trypans did good. The jury is still out for me wether I will keep using them but I can’t complain about the results this time.

Attachments

• 81A65B27-3C07-408A-8543-4364C6FBC3EC.jpeg
    81A65B27-3C07-408A-8543-4364C6FBC3EC.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 50
  • FA6C3E8A-2914-4689-840D-4AF6F494D8FC.jpeg
    FA6C3E8A-2914-4689-840D-4AF6F494D8FC.jpeg
    562.6 KB · Views: 55
  • D63B3F8C-D80E-4C8C-9007-F0BB5CB21941.jpeg
    D63B3F8C-D80E-4C8C-9007-F0BB5CB21941.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 41C62502-6847-4EE4-815A-3AED0CDF20D7.jpeg
    41C62502-6847-4EE4-815A-3AED0CDF20D7.jpeg
    699.6 KB · Views: 62
thanks for all the advice. Yesterday was the opener for the late archery hunt. I am lucky enough to work on a large farm, so I threw the bow in. I had a lot of other plans for the day wasn’t even thinking about getting it out except shoot a couple straw bales. But on my drive through the farm I saw a couple deer and stopped to glass. They were a couple of legal bucks. I wasn’t to interested cause I really wanted to bring my son along (4 yrs) and share in the experience. Well they moved to a spot we’re I thought I will just sneak up on them and “practice” my stalking. 30 min later I was in a good spot behind the only sagebrush around, listening to Mule Deer grunts , then our game the big boy I had been watching for months. Big thick and pretty wide 4x4, so I made a play on him. I got to 80 yards then the Doe busted me and walked off taking Goliath. (All the deer were in a canyon with cat tails, fragmites, and Kocha 5’ tall.) Since I was now in the open, I thought I would peak over the edge of the canyon. I stayed low and when I got to the edge saw 2 does and a nice 3x4 laying down. I thought I was busted, so I casually grabbed my range finder and ranged 50 yards. (The things going through my mind at that moment: oh crap I’m busted, why aren’t they moving, 50 yds that’s a little out of my comfort zone.) lucky for me a strong breeze in my face kept those deer from bolting, even though I was skylines and moving. So I got ready and when the doe got nervous and stood up so did Mr. Buck. I put my 50 pin right on him and it made a perfect quartering away shot. Went in behind the back right rib and came out just behind front left shoulder. I watched him run 80 yards and lie down and expire. So I went home picked up my son and we tracked the deer from the blood trail. He loved it!
This was my first time using a mechanical broad head and the Rage Trypans did good. The jury is still out for me wether I will keep using them but I can’t complain about the results this time.

I love this story and how you got your little one involved.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love your boys hat! Congratulations looks like some awesome memories for both of you

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Azone

WKR

Memories that will last a lifetime right there. Congratulations.