Multitools

wavey1us

FNG
What is a good multitool to carry while hunting? Seen plenty of discussions about the Leatherman, Gerber, SOG, etc. Looking to purchase.

I carried a full size Gerber and Leatherman Super Tool on my first couple of trips. Realized they were big, bulky, heavy, and I never used all their features. Switched to a cheap, light Cabelas brand micro multi tool and it’s handled everything I needed elk hunting for the last 2 yrs. Finally decided I’d try a Gerber Dime due to size, weight, price, and options for this up coming season. Seems to fit the bill for small random multi tool needs so far. The other small tool I looked at was the Leatherman Squirt. It was also a great option just 2-3x more expensive than the Gerber Dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Wingman is my favorite utility multitool. The spring-action pliers are AWESOME. Why they make pliers without that it is dumb IMO. The Wingman has all the essentials, nothing more. The scissors get used way more than you'd think.

The Skeletool is a little lighter and slightly narrower than the Wingman so it's easier to carry, but the pliers aren't spring-loaded and are sticky. I could do without the carabiner too. If they shrunk the Skeletool about 3/4", dumped the carabiner, and made the pliers spring-loaded, they'd have a serious winner IMO.

Someone recently broke into my truck and took my old Victorinox multi tool. It was well made, large and heavy and I left it in the truck for that reason. I didn't use it often but it was nice to have when I needed it.

I just bought a Leatherman Sidekick to replace it. It is a medium sized multi tool that is small enough that I can carry it hunting. It weighs 7 oz. One unique feature and the primary reason I bought that specific tool was for the spring loaded pliers. I have two bird dogs and carry a multi tool for removing porky quills, burrs etc. and the spring loaded pliers are much easier to use and make the tool more practical IMO.

For elk hunting, where weight is an issue, I carry a micro multi tool on my pack. I have an old Leatherman that is minimal and folds up into a small tool and I have a Gerber Dime. The Dime weighs 2.2 oz. I seldom have to use either but I carry them just in case.

Back