My 2023 Broadhead Tuning Journey

cjdewese

WKR
I was the lucky winner of this year's Iron Will give away during the CBC Challenge 2023.

The process of getting the heads was painless and I chose 3 S125's and 3 SB 125's. Each head comes in it's own case and all 3 of the same type weighed exactly the same when I got them. The single bevel's came in at 124.3 grains and the solids came in at 123.4 grains. They are extremely sharp and durable, more on durability later.

Each year I have been bow hunting I've tried to broadhead tune my bow and each year I have struggled to get perfect arrow flight. This year with having such nice heads to shoot I decided no matter how frustrating it might be, this year was going to be the year.

I shoot a Diamond Edge SB-1 at a little over 60 lbs and have a 29 inch draw length.

When I started this process I was consistently hitting to the right of my fieldpoints and I was having a hard time getting anything to change. When searching online there are references that say to move your rest to the right, then move your rest to the left. Neither one seemed to be doing much, ultimately I realized I was getting fletching contact with my riser. I put the bow back on the press and re-centered everything and already things were getting closer. My point of impact was only a few inches apart instead of the several inches apart it was before.

I watched a few videos where MFJJ was talking about it and started moving the rest the way he was recommending in very slight increments until things got closer. Finally after a little over a month and a half of being pretty frustrated I can confidently say I am actually broadhead tuned and things are flying well back to 40 as of today.

Will be stretching that out a bit more in the next few weeks to just verify things are looking good and I can't wait to be carrying the Iron Wills in my Quiver this year.

During this process, I've missed my target which is a Reinhart 18-1 several times sending my arrow and broadhead into the hillside behind my target. Unfortunately it's not all sand and there are several rocks a few inches under the surface. Throughout all of the shots into my target and out, going through some 3/4 inch plywood several times and burying into some pressure treated 2/6 wood a few the head still spins true and comes in at .6 grains less than it did when I got it brand new.

Thanks again to Rockslide for putting on the CBC and Iron Will for their sponsorship in the event.

Bump79

WKR
There's so much bad information out there on broadhead tuning it's quite unfortunate. Somehow, it's still debated even. I'm glad you got it straightened out! Fletching contact is huge. As long as your spined properly and form is in reasonable shape - you should be able to move your rest within 1/16".

Broadhead right = tail left tear in paper = move rest right
Broadhead left = tail right in paper = move rest left
Broadhead low = tail high in paper = move rest up
Broadhead high = tail low in paper = move rest down

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
This is exactly what I did. Once I got my fletching contact figured out I moved my rest about 1/16 at most to get it where it needed to go.