MYOG 2 man DCF

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions on my next project.
I have successfully built a 6 man silpoly tipi, many other quilts and various sewing projects.
I have three areas I'm still trying to decide on.
1- Just go for it and build a 6 panel DCF tipi of similar size to a Cimarron/Tut. .5 or .8 Dyneema?
2- Design a new shelter probably similar to Tarptent Motrail/Kifaru Supertarp. I have 8 yds of left over 1.1 silnylon which I could use to test my design before investing the DCF.
Lastly- a popular debate. Sew, Bond or both on DCF Project. I live in Utah and it'll likely see 0* weather.

How about a slightly larger tut out of DCF?
If there was another foot of width the tut would be perfect.
My tut has been great in everything the Unitas has thrown at it.
Where in utah are you?

tdot

WKR
O.8dcf, unless you are only concerned about weight. Its substantially stronger and more wear resistant then 0.5dcf. If you use 6 yards in a tent, it's only 1.8 ounces more

Bond and stitch if the seam will be under load. I found the tapes tend to crawl under tension. Otherwise just bond.

I mocked up a tent with Tyvek instead of silpoly, easy to tape and it doesnt stretch like silpoly, so the catenary curves and tensioning of panels seemed to relate more.

Shape is 100% dependent on your wants/needs.

I was originally planning something like a super tarp with an integrated annex
But after patterning it in Sketchup, realized that it's a stupid waste of material and used almost the same as a bigger shelter like 2 person mid

tdot

WKR
I made a bunch of DCF stuff sacs to get used to bonding the seams. Learned a bunch of little tricks along the way that I wouldnt have wanted to learn on a tent.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
How about a slightly larger tut out of DCF?
If there was another foot of width the tut would be perfect.
My tut has been great in everything the Unitas has thrown at it.
Where in utah are you?
I was a little concerned with the 100” base but figured it would be a good starting point since the Tut and cimarron are similar dimensionally. I’m in Syracuse.

OP
acmckeage03

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
O.8dcf, unless you are only concerned about weight. Its substantially stronger and more wear resistant then 0.5dcf. If you use 6 yards in a tent, it's only 1.8 ounces more

Bond and stitch if the seam will be under load. I found the tapes tend to crawl under tension. Otherwise just bond.

I mocked up a tent with Tyvek instead of silpoly, easy to tape and it doesnt stretch like silpoly, so the catenary curves and tensioning of panels seemed to relate more.

Shape is 100% dependent on your wants/needs.

I was originally planning something like a super tarp with an integrated annex
But after patterning it in Sketchup, realized that it's a stupid waste of material and used almost the same as a bigger shelter like 2 person mid
I was thinking along the same line of integrated annex I just am more comfortable with closed shelters. And as far as material yield these little tipi’s hardly use any extra material and they way out perform the tarps in bad weather. But I’ve built tipi’s and haven’t ever owned a tarp/tent style

oenanthe

WKR
I made a bunch of DCF stuff sacs to get used to bonding the seams. Learned a bunch of little tricks along the way that I wouldnt have wanted to learn on a tent.

+1 on making bonded DCF stuffsacks for practice. I haven't made a shelter out of DCF (yet), but I've made a dozen or so stuffsacks and it is good practice.

+1 also on using Tyvek housewrap for a mockup. I did this for a silnylon shelter I made and it helped me avoid some mistakes. Just tape it together with masking tape. When you're done making the mockup you can take it apart and use it for a pattern.

I was a little concerned with the 100” base but figured it would be a good starting point since the Tut and cimarron are similar dimensionally. I’m in Syracuse.

I'm in Ogden if you want to look at the tut for ideas.
The extra 6 in of height over cimarron are nice for being able to stand up.