Mystery Rancj crew cab

Just Curious if anyone here has used the mystery ranch crew cab and if so what are your thoughts on it.

Last edited:
I have one, and like it. Kind of a jack of all trades kind of pack. You can carry some pretty odd loads with it, think small daypack that turns into a load sling. Example of things I've loaded in it:
Hind quarter + front quarter bone-in of a 5x5 bull
1 7gal blue cube water container + most of my camp gear
Full backpack camp + ~50lbs of elk sheds

Some guys will cut out some of the extra stiffening material in the pack to lighten it some, or even cut off the 'wing' pockets. Given their empty weight, you can practically steal them off the classifieds from time-to-time.

Great pack and very functional for all sorts of stuff. I kinda regret selling mine, but it was just so heavy. Still a great daypack hauler, which you can make do multi day duty too.

Well built pack, bombproof, but those facts are overshadowed by it's weight and lack of functional load lifters. For me there are SEVERAL better options out there. Now, if you usually carry odd shaped loads or things like treestands, the Crew Cab may be the pack for you.

I lined the double duty aspect. But The weight seems to be the one complaint that is pretty common that read in various places. I was Looking into a xing abd pointman from Kifaru as well . My main use will be 2-3 day scouting trips.

I had one for years and it will haul about anything you want. If you have a short torso or don't need lifters, it's a solid pack. For an upcharge you can get the Oneiros lifter extension. They have a cpl other CC specific upgrades also.

Well built pack, bombproof, but those facts are overshadowed by it's weight and lack of functional load lifters. For me there are SEVERAL better options out there. Now, if you usually carry odd shaped loads or things like treestands, the Crew Cab may be the pack for you.

It's not just the weight and load lifters. Although I haven't used one, my co-worker and friend carried one beside me for a year. The whole pack rides really low... something that load lifters can't fix. It's also somewhat complicated to use. LOTS of straps, buckles and set up options. It was nice when he need to carry something odd like a chainsaw, but he was more than happy to sell it for a Gen 1 Metcalf this spring. Even though it uses the same basic frame, the Metcalf just straight up rides better.

For short scouting trips there are a bunch of backpacking packs that will do the job cheaper and better than a CC IMO. If you want double duty, there are better hunting packs I think.

Yk

Since MR came out with the frame extender my Crew Cab has gone back to #1...and I have Metcalf 1 & 2. Love the versatility and can deal with the weight.

I lined the double duty aspect. But The weight seems to be the one complaint that is pretty common that read in various places. I was Looking into a xing abd pointman from Kifaru as well . My main use will be 2-3 day scouting trips.

If you're not packing meat or other oddly shaped things, there are more purpose-built packs for 2-3 day scouting trips - hell there are a ton of inexpensive options from REI that would fit the bill. I use a $80 north face pack for summer scouting. The CC makes a great daypack with the capability of hauling out a huge amount of your meat if you get something down. I like how the pack rides for hunting with it on, as its not in the way catching head-height brush. IMO, what sets the NICE frame, Kifaru Duplex, SG krux, Paradox evolution etc. from other backpack mfgs, is that they are designed handle loads in excess of ~75lb.

I had one but after I got a longbow I sold it. Longbow is lighter, rides better and is just a better design in terms of organization IMO.

It's not just the weight and load lifters. Although I haven't used one, my co-worker and friend carried one beside me for a year. The whole pack rides really low... something that load lifters can't fix. It's also somewhat complicated to use. LOTS of straps, buckles and set up options. It was nice when he need to carry something odd like a chainsaw, but he was more than happy to sell it for a Gen 1 Metcalf this spring. Even though it uses the same basic frame, the Metcalf just straight up rides better.

For short scouting trips there are a bunch of backpacking packs that will do the job cheaper and better than a CC IMO. If you want double duty, there are better hunting packs I think.

Yk

Glad you said this....after using a NICE frame for 2 years I will say the only way a standard 20" tall NICE frame will work is with a packbag that has extenders for me with any real wait for it to be comfortable. I could deal with the empty weight of the pack/frame if it didn't put all the weight right on my shoulders, but that is not the case. Much better options to be had IMO with taller frames that will haul weight more comfortably given that price point. Now a NICE 6500 or 7500 or something of that nature is hell for stout and haul great and a great option....crew cab...meh.

FWIW, I don't find that the NICE+CC puts all the weight on my shoulders. I do find at times I'd like to pull the load in some, especially when I've got it overloaded, but the way it fits me I'm able to get plenty of weight on the hips. Much more comfortable than the non-hunting-specific packs I've owned anyway.

I carried this load of a cow elk HQ and FQ up and over a mountain with no issues... like I said earlier, its best function is a daypack that turns into a serious hauler (for me anyway). As you can see there are many on the forum that don't like it. Try one out if you get an opportunity.
ElkPackcrop.jpg

Last edited:
Back