Need a new scope.

280ack

FNG
I am of the age when the sun rose and set on Leupold scopes. I am looking for a rifle scope for a buddy's 300 Win rifle. The rifle will be used on elk, mule deer and antelope. The first use will be in elk camp at high elevation, for us flatlanders, at 8,400 feet in forested and burnt timber. We will be on horseback. He does not want to "dial".
I am looking at the following and welcome your concerns, comments and recommendations.

1. Leupold VX3 HD 4.5-14 x40 (due to scabbards being used) not the side focus and a Plex reticle $600 MSRP
2. Leupold Freedom 3-12x 40 $350 MSRP

Being a 300 WIN in an 8lb rifle am concerned about recoil breaking the scope, so moving away from the VX3 series is uncomfortable.
The rifle will be in and out of a scabbard.
Size matters, it is not a tactical rifle

Any opinion based on experiences you have and suggestions are appreciated.

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
I personally would go with the vx3 hd ir vx3i and get the CDS version that is ballistic specific for that gun so he could dial to that number. So turning to 2 would be 200 yards etc since it is ballistic specific. It is the easiest turret system ever. Better than guessing and holding over etc.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

First on your recoil concern. I think you will be fine. I've run several of the older VX-3 scopes on various rifles up to 338WM no problem.

You mention that you are looking at a scope without a side focus. At those higher magnifications, I would probably want to have that.

Having said that, I'll throw out two options.

1. Leupold VX-3HD 3.5-10x40 30mm with the Fire Dot Duplex. It also has the custom dial if you were so inclined. MSRP $700

2. Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. It is also a 30mm scope with capped turrets. It can be had with an illuminated reticle and is somewhat compact. This one may stretch your budget. I think around $985. I don't have any personal experience with this one yet but am looking at one for my 308 mountain rifle.

Last edited: