New Bow String?

Brado16

WKR
Dusted off my bowcase a few weeks back and started shooting for the first time in quite some time (about 7 years) Tonight I noticed the bow string near the bottom cam fraying/unraveling. I am wonding if this is anything to worry about? Can It be fixed or will I need new sting and cables? The bow is a Mathews Reezen 7. I can still shoot this older bow very well and field points fly same as my Slick Tricks out to 60 yards. I originally wanted to archery hunt again this year before I decided to upgrade bows but if I need to replace the bow string, I might make sense to take that money towards a new bow but I would still prefer to salvage the string and bow for this season since it shoots so well. Here are a few pics of the string.

On another note, my old arrows are setup for Deer. Currently the following specs:

28.5" Draw
62-65 lbs (best guess)
30.25" Carbon Express 350 Maxima
100 grain Slick Trick
Right around 400 grains
278 FPS via Magnetospeed

After looking at some of the Elk setups, this looks to be on the light end. I did order some 175 grain field tips to try out before I saw string fraying to try out and see how they shoot and what they crono at. Thoughts were to try a 175 or 200 grain COC head to increase arrow weight but will need probably retune bow. Seem like a good plan or stick with the 400 grain arrow with slick tricks at 278 fps?

I appreciate the help fellas.
b7593d7549dfde7c328278c61e4b818d.jpg
08e6920a2c800836cf193affc4cceadd.jpg
16c22fc4f2db874052e989d386281d24.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hawk45

FNG
Second @RosinBag, don't shoot that. If you've never had a compound come apart it's a seriously scary and dangerous thing. Not only is it dangerous, you'll be spending a lot more than the cost of new strings it if lets go. Think limbs or maybe even a new bow, not to mention the medical bills.
It also looks like you have some excess camber on your cams causing the wear on your string. That means a tune for sure.

Hit up https://www.60xcustomstrings.com/ they do awesome strings. Or get with an other quality shop online or local and get a new set of strings and tune.

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Thanks guys. I appreciate the heads up and it wont be shot again.

The strings/cables look like 90 bucks, that's about half of what I was thinking it was going to be for some reason.

Probably not a bad idea to take in and have a shop look everything else over too- just don't have one close by.

How hard is it to change out the strings and cables? Any recommendations for a home bow press?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hawk45

FNG
I have a press from Last Chance Archery just because I'm one who likes to do things myself and I have the means. I have several bows so it's not a bad investment. You will also need a draw board, which is pretty easy to build, but will probably be another $100 in parts. Then there is the learning curve. It can become very frustrating twisting strings, trust me, I know. But it's nice to not have to run to a shop if they stretch or you just want to keep things in tune.

If you have one bow or even two, I'd say buy your strings online and take the bow to your local shop and pay the $100 or so and get hem professionally installed and tuned. You should be good for several years depending on how often you shoot. There is something to be said for dropping something off and it being ready to go when you pick it up. Just bring your release and a few of your arrows/broadheads with you and they can fine tune once the basic tune is done.

But if you have the means and curiosity, have at it. Just don't get into building your own strings.. the slope is steep.

I bought a nitehawk archery press for making adjustments to my bows. It's functional but a little fiddly to get set right. I've currently changed 2 sets of strings using it to press the bows. Seem several home made presses that looked interesting to make and would be nicer to use than a portable style.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR
Order you a set of strings from catfish customs and have someone put it on for you.

If you’re going to buy a press, the LCA ez green is the best real press for the money. Then you’ll need a draw board, bow vise and string/arrow bubble levels; next will come arrow building (saw, square, spinner, fletching jig). I wouldn’t spend that kind of money when I just started shooting after a 7 year hiatus, but only you can make that decision. I’ve got everything a functions shop has, but I’ve shot a bow more or less daily for the past 10 years.

And there’s no way I’d put that night hawk press on my bows. Pretty sure that dude still hasn’t gotten a single manufacturer to approve his design, because it puts pressure on limbs in the all the wrong ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brado16

Brado16

WKR
Thanks again guys. New stings/cables ordered. Going to have a shop do the work for me. As much as I would like to get a bow press, I just dont have the time right now and I know I would end up tinkering around more than shooting. Maybe next year.

Now the other part of the question- is a 400 grain arrow going to be way to light at 278 fps for elk? If so, whats the best way to increase weight of my current arrows (Maxima 350)? 175 or 200 grain heads?

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of good string makers out there. I use 60x. But there’s many others and all make great strings and cables.

Brendan

WKR
There's a thread on here somewhere where someone built a bow press out of 2x4, bolts, and a ratchet strap. The design looked solid if you have the time.

You can't just add weight to the front of an arrow, good chance you'll have spine issues. Would need more info on bow poundage, draw weight, draw length, and arrow spine.

If you just use a high quality fixed blade head, your arrow will be fine.