New Mountaineer in Nitrate 50 cal

Bob L.

FNG
I have an unfired Mountaineer in Nitrate. Should I clean the barrel and all parts before shooting it the first time? Anything special to cleaning the nitrate barrel? After shooting, do many of you also take apart the bolt and clean all those internal components? This is a western setup for #11 caps and going to shoot T7.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20210517_073506.jpg
    20210517_073506.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 18
I have an unfired Mountaineer in Nitrate. Should I clean the barrel and all parts before shooting it the first time? Anything special to cleaning the nitrate barrel? After shooting, do many of you also take apart the bolt and clean all those internal components? This is a western setup for #11 caps and going to shoot T7.
Thank you
Nothing really special about cleaning a Nitride and yes I would clean it well be fore shooting the first time.

Bolt and breech cleaning with a Western is a little bit more of a chore than than 209 ignition. But it will be necessary. I really do not take the bolt apart and clean unless I have shot a range session.

T7 is really not as corrosive as a lot would have you believe - but it is some what corrosive so cleaning should be on your mind. The Nitride finish is a very BIG deterrent to corrosion but cleaning is still something that needs to be done,

By taking the bolt down - I am suggesting to remove the hammer assembly from the bolt body - you do not need to disassemble the the hammer assembly itself.

BoltAlignment2.jpg

You should/will also need to flush your trigger assemble. I just spray Birchwood/Casey 2-in-1 bore cleaner through the trigger assembly.

1621272054675.png