New to Montana Hunting

Hey y'all, I recently moved to Billings, MT from Texas to be a ER nurse up here for the next three years. I have never hunted out west and have a quick question I was hoping someone may help me out with. Just about every forum regarding the Absoroka range and it's surrounding units (316, 317, 525, 565) mentions the subpar to mediocre hunting and an absurd amount of grizzly. I'm content with the subpar hunting. I have no experience, can only get a general tag this season, and will have four days per week to hunt, so I figure the hunting there should be sufficient for my skill level. However, I am worried about the bears. I have no experience with grizzly and will be a solo hunter. Should I sacrifice the amount of days I may spend in the field by finding applicable units further from home to avoid high bear concentrations or is this something that I am overthinking? I appreciate any guidance or advice y'all may give.

johnsd16

WKR
Why those units? Lots of other areas of the state to hunt with elk but less grizz.

I am not super experienced with grizzlies but do hunt some where they are. I personally will never hunt the north border of the park. I will say being solo with no experience is not a good situation. What if you are successful? You can’t control where an animal dies 100% of the time. Being solo with an animal down in a thicket in bear country is just not a good situation. No reason to expose yourself to that risk as a rookie with lots of other options.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Do you mainly archery hunt or rifle? I haven’t been in those units but I would assume late rifle season most bears will be asleep.

OP
Z
Why those units? Lots of other areas of the state to hunt with elk but less grizz.

I am not super experienced with grizzlies but do hunt some where they are. I personally will never hunt the north border of the park. I will say being solo with no experience is not a good situation. What if you are successful? You can’t control where an animal dies 100% of the time. Being solo with an animal down in a thicket in bear country is just not a good situation. No reason to expose yourself to that risk as a rookie with lots of other options.
Essentially they are the only units within a two hours drive that allows for decent opportunity with a general tag, that I could find at least. I only work three days per week, thus I figured the closer units would give me more opportunity to learn the trade rather than waiting to go to different units only once or twice per season.

Raghornkiller

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of good hunting within a few hours of you,I'd go somewhere else for a few years until you get a little experience.I don't like hunting grizzly country alone unless it's somewhat open.And going back for meat alone is asking for trouble.

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
Hey man, welcome to MT. My daughter is a nurse in Billings. What hospital you going to be at?

But I digress - I'm a solo, backpack hunter. All my hunting is in grizzly country. Don't sweat it, hunt it. You've got a rifle. If bowhunting, pack spray and a pistol. I've encountered plenty of grizzlies with no problems. Use your head, keep a clean camp. When packing out meat solo, pack spray and a pistol. Spray is ALWAYS your first line of defense. Truth is, you'll likely NEVER have a problem encounter.

OP
Z
Hey man, welcome to MT. My daughter is a nurse in Billings. What hospital you going to be at?

But I digress - I'm a solo, backpack hunter. All my hunting is in grizzly country. Don't sweat it, hunt it. You've got a rifle. If bowhunting, pack spray and a pistol. I've encountered plenty of grizzlies with no problems. Use your head, keep a clean camp. When packing out meat solo, pack spray and a pistol. Spray is ALWAYS your first line of defense. Truth is, you'll likely NEVER have a problem encounter.
Hey man, thank ya. Ill be at Billings Clinic. Ive already invested in the spray and plan to get a 10mm here in a few weeks. I appreciate your advice man!

bradmacmt

Lil-Rokslider
For your pistol, use hard cast LBT style bullets, whether 9mm or 10mm (I'm happy with 9mm).

Welcome and good luck!

jimh406

WKR
Do some more research on where to hunt. Hurry though, draws are coming up soon.

Since you’ll be nonresident in Montana this year, look at other states as well.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt regularly in Griz areas and have never have never had a bad encounter. However, in high density areas (around Yellowstone or Glacier) we always hunt in pairs and take extra precautions for backcountry camps. Processing an elk or tracking a wounded animal alone in Griz country is a risk I am not willing to take. If you surprise a Griz at close range the charge will happen so fast your hunting partner may need to save your life with bear spray or pistol. Yes, many people hunt alone in Griz areas, but I would drive the extra 1-3 hours to find lower density Griz units to hunt alone. With 4 days each week to hunt there are many great hunting units in reach with lower Griz densities.

I have no concerns hunting alone in low Griz density areas of the state.

Beendare

WKR
@ztbrowning,
If you are rifle hunting, you don’t need the pistol.
I bowhunt brownie and G Bear areas almost every year. The key is being aware. 95 out of 100 times they leave you alone. If you surprise a sow with cubs or come on a kill…they will defend it.

A pistol can be effective but IMO your training with that weapon and the ammo you choose is the game changer. Hardcast bullets are the #1 choice, no matter the caliber.

Beendare

WKR
Hunting wise; just hiking around the woods with a weapon is a low % proposition.
👆🏼That ain’t hunting.

Learning the country and planning around the inevitable hunt pressure is usually the best strategy.

bobr1

WKR
Hey y'all, I recently moved to Billings, MT from Texas to be a ER nurse up here for the next three years. I have never hunted out west and have a quick question I was hoping someone may help me out with. Just about every forum regarding the Absoroka range and it's surrounding units (316, 317, 525, 565) mentions the subpar to mediocre hunting and an absurd amount of grizzly. I'm content with the subpar hunting. I have no experience, can only get a general tag this season, and will have four days per week to hunt, so I figure the hunting there should be sufficient for my skill level. However, I am worried about the bears. I have no experience with grizzly and will be a solo hunter. Should I sacrifice the amount of days I may spend in the field by finding applicable units further from home to avoid high bear concentrations or is this something that I am overthinking? I appreciate any guidance or advice y'all may give.
I don’t know all the details from your post. But you said you have never done western hunting and are from Texas. I’d first make sure you have all the gear and logistic figured out before going elk hunting, especially going solo. I’d also wait until you are eligible to hunt as a resident for general tags instead of trying to do the draw as a nonresident because it’s stupid expensive if your were to draw as a nonresident. As others have mentioned there are a lot of units other than the ones you mentioned. Go talk to FWP and/or biologist for units.
I know some people that are fine hunting in grizzly country and others that refuse to go. But they are starting to get out a lot farther now then in previous year, so you may still run into them. Just be smart and prepared. Don’t assume a gun or bear spray is going to be 100% effective. Guys get messed up or killed every year in MT by bears.