Newbie layering advice

Hey all,
Trying to put together my "system", and wanted to get some feedback and advice.

This season was my first season out so I was learning as I went, adding and removing stuff. This was also an unusually warm december for Michigan.

A lot of the areas I hunted on public land have marshes, swamps, etc. and LOTS of thorns and briers. We saw plenty of rain, but only a few typical December cold days.

Most of the season I didnt have a real base layer, but when it got really cold I added in some old long johns I had laying around.

Since then here's my current setup:

Base layers: Merino wool top and bottom, Meriwool brand from amazon, "midweight", with dark tough hiking socks, depending on what the weather is alternating the socks from lightweight, to medium, to "heavy".

Boots are Lacrosse Alphaburly pro with 1200 gram insulation.. This is my first point. Once I get sweaty walking in, these get cold. Ive resulted to carrying another pair of socks to change into but it sucks to do that in the field. Im considering getting a pair of the Aerohead sport, as Ive heard these handle sweat a little better.

From there, I've been wearing wrangler ATG and Outdoor hiking pants. Overall they're not bad, but tucked into the boot, when Im done, from the knee down my legs are covered in sweat.

There have been a few colder days this season so I added a pair of Sitka Gradient pants, which seem really warm (like they could be worn without a merino wool base), with are tapered with "stirrups" which helps getting in and out of the boots, but have not had a chance to wear them yet for a hunt.

For my top, I have a generic camo brand camo polyster quarter zip that I found at Meijer..."habit brand" that I wear over the merino wool base, then I added a milwaukee heated vest, to wear over it, or added in a cotton/polyster blend thermal waffle long sleeve, before adding the milwaukee heated vest on top. The 2-3 layers of sleeves overlapping kind of sucks.

I also have insulated bibs from the Habit brand as well, which help with the briars and barbs, but would be nice to get some where I could unzip or open up the sides to cool down on longer scouts or hikes.

Over that I had a rain-proof Habit brand hooded jacket with insulation...but it didnt feel "wind-proof" when being out.

End of season I ordered myself a few more items to try to improve my layering when they fell significantly in price.

I just got a Drake stormfront midweight fleece zipup, and the drake endurance standhunter jacket.

I tried the drake combo without my base layer, and was surprised by how light and not warm they felt. Im sure it would be "adequate" once I add in the base layer, and maybe the heated vest, but at that point it seems like Im going back to what I had before I bought these new items, and likely not warm enough for the colder days in michigan which routinely hit 20 degrees or less on a normal summer.

Im struggling with gloves too, I tried a bunch this season, I have a pair of sitka incinerator flip mitts, but still found my fingertips getting VERY cold on the few snowy days we've had.

I tried stone glacier men's altimeter gloves, and found them to be not any warmer, but with the added loss of dexterity.

So my big questions are: boots, bibs, tops, and gloves.

Any help is appreciated. Have mercy on a new guy

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
I am in Michigan as well and yes it was a warm year for sure! I walk a long way to the stand on public land and I will give you what I use.

For the walk out I have pants either Kuiu attacks or FL sawbush or a few others all depending on the brush I might or might not be going through. Nothing else on the legs as this is plenty while packing in or out. Once on stand I add Kuiu zip off pro merinos and bibs.

Feet I wear my upland boots non insulated leather. with a heavy or mid weight wool sock again don't need warmth while walking and want to avoid sweat. Once on stand you can change socks if you sweat (this is a must if your feet are wet) and add these https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...ootwear>Shoes and Boots>Men's Shoes and Boots they are great and if really cold add warmers to them.

Up top I wear a base which varies on how cold it is and a mid-layer like Kuiu 240 any good wind blocking breathable mid will do. Then once on stand add layers based off the temp.

The old hiking saying start cold fits well here if you are comfortable when leaving to the stand you will sweat, and it will suck latter.

OP
A
I am in Michigan as well and yes it was a warm year for sure! I walk a long way to the stand on public land and I will give you what I use.

For the walk out I have pants either Kuiu attacks or FL sawbush or a few others all depending on the brush I might or might not be going through. Nothing else on the legs as this is plenty while packing in or out. Once on stand I add Kuiu zip off pro merinos and bibs.

Feet I wear my upland boots non insulated leather. with a heavy or mid weight wool sock again don't need warmth while walking and want to avoid sweat. Once on stand you can change socks if you sweat (this is a must if your feet are wet) and add these https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/1135557-arcticshield-boot-insulators.html?blaintm_source=bing&blaintm_medium=pla&msclkid=c71363bdc5e51fca4ecd06200f72324e&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Clothing and Footwear | Med | Shopping | ShipTo&utm_term=4583451670476740&utm_content=Clothing and Footwear>Shoes and Boots>Men's Shoes and Boots they are great and if really cold add warmers to them.

Up top I wear a base which varies on how cold it is and a mid-layer like Kuiu 240 any good wind blocking breathable mid will do. Then once on stand add layers based off the temp.

The old hiking saying start cold fits well here if you are comfortable when leaving to the stand you will sweat, and it will suck latter.
Thank you!. the Kuiu 240 was actually in my tabs for a mid layer. Do you wear a jacket over it too, for waterproof/rainproof layer?

For after the walk in, do you change out of the attacks or first lite sawbush into the merino and bibs?

I didnt think about packing warmer gear to change into, but that makes sense.

Ramblr

FNG
For gloves, I use PIG Alpha gloves most of the time or their insulated cold weather glove if it's frigid. I like them because the are designed for dexterity and shooting and they frequently go on sale at SKD.

jtivat

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you!. the Kuiu 240 was actually in my tabs for a mid layer. Do you wear a jacket over it too, for waterproof/rainproof layer?

For after the walk in, do you change out of the attacks or first lite sawbush into the merino and bibs?

I didnt think about packing warmer gear to change into, but that makes sense.
I just pull the pants down and add the merino that is the great thing about the zip offs is not having to take boots off. Yes, if raining I just add a raincoat.

Lowg08

WKR
I walk a long ways in the mountains and one of the best suggestions already given was to walk in with as little on as possible. Carry are your warm gear. I use the first lite zip off bottoms. My base layer is a touch different. I wear knee length merino boxers and knee high merino wool socks. Then attack or under armour infil ops with gore windstopper. I wear a first lite wick crew or hoodie. Depends on how cold it is leaving the truck. Once I get where I’m going. I zip on the bottoms. Change into another top usually first lite kiln. Then depends on the temp. My mid layer is either the Klamath hoodie, 240 hoodie or the under armour infil ops jacket with gore windstopper. After that it’s all
Temp based. I carry either the kuiu kenai set or the under armour alpine ops down set. Just be bold start cold. On the feet thing. I do not wear insulated boots. I just spray my feet with antiperspirants then sock. Then I use toasty toes and hot hands sole heater. Then just add boot blankets. I know you hunt swamps but I hate rubber boots. They sweat me to death and feet are never warm.

Sixtop

FNG
Couple of tips for cold hands… I’ve found that insulated mittens with some sort of wool liner gloves combined with fleece lined hand ”muff” and zippo or rechargeable hand warmers are about the best thing out there. You can also get latex gloves and use them as glove liners. They block the wind pretty good and will let you still have a lot of dexterity.

ArcherAnthony

Lil-Rokslider
I would say if you feet are getting soaked in your boots then they don’t have a breathable liner like gore Tex? I have a pair of Danner Pronghorn 1200g I wore them upstate Pennsylvania putting 10 miles a day on them. Socks never got soaked. I also don’t tuck my pant legs in my boots just my base layer. Your base layer has to be breathable or else you will be wet and cold as soon as you are done walking. Merino wool is a great base layer so you are on the right track. When looking for hunting gear just make sure it’s breathable. Stop buying onesie twosies and save for a good system. The classifieds here seem to have a great selection. And stay away from the heated stuff unless you are going to carry it in with you.
What I wear
Sitka merino wool base layers
I wear the same pants you do the wrangler ATG
I have a sitka puffy jacket I put on mid if needed. My outer layer is KUIU katana gale force pants and KUIU Axis Hybrid hooded jacket. I open the zip ports when walking

OP
A
Ive got a First Lite Furnace Quarter Zip, and the Solitude 2.0 jacket on order, by way of a friend's discount code..which helps lessen the sting on price..somewhat, but Im looking forward to trying these out, after being disappointed with the Drake stuff that came in.