Newfoundland (MVO - Deer Lake) - Sept 30-Oct 5, 2024

Looking forward to a Newfoundland hunt this fall with Moose Valley Outfitters for moose and caribou.

We're flying into Deer Lake a day or two early and looking for recommendations to maximize pre-hunt exposure to the island. Thinking about a drive out to Lobster Cove Head Lighthouse and Gros Morne National Park. Can anyone recommend any trails, coastal drives, restaurants, etc. we shouldn't miss?

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Love that area. I'd think Gros Morne tourist activity would be low then...which is good.

Rocky Harbor has a couple decent restaurants.

We hiked some of the IAT (International Appalachian Trail) just north of the park, got up to 2,000ft above sea level, overlooking a "pond" (Fjord, really - massive cliffs dropping into a long, narrow lake just disconnected from the sea - there are many of these) and could see across to Labrador 85 miles away. Was amazing. Also saw a giant bull moose and two caribou up there.

Stayed at Entente Cordiale Inn in Portland Creek; highly recommend. Paul, the owner, helped set up the IAT in that section and helped us get into the backcountry.

If you have time, seeing L'Anse aux Meadows is pretty incredible if you like history.

Coastline at its worst is stunning, and at its best is world-class.

I like The Rock a lot. Did find a few times I could not completely follow the local dialect...prepare to be called "M'Dear" and enjoy the trip!