Nock Bushing

dylaneh

FNG
I posted a thread a while back about my arrows for TAC. Someone suggested I used nock bushing but I didn’t really want to add weight to the back of my arrow. After losing almost 5 or 6 arrows from people hitting the back of my arrow i think it would be beneficial to use them. Do yall have any recommendations on what are the best nock bushings to use preferably the lightest but also I want them to be really tough and protect the back of my arrow. I would love to have some tungsten bushings does anyone know if anyone makes these?

I've never seen any arrow components made of tungsten...do you mean titanium? I know of some titanium inserts and collars, but all the nock bushings I've seen are either aluminum or stainless steel. I wouldn't be too concerned about the extra weight though; you're talking 10-15 grains max.

Also, most (maybe all) bushings will force you to also switch your nocks to a smaller diameter version (or to a pin nock). Nock collars (instead of bushings) might be a better choice...they would be a bit lighter and would allow you to keep using the same nocks.

OR Archer

WKR
First what arrow are you shooting? That would be where we need to start if we’re going to recommend a bushing.

Nock bushings are going to be made of aluminum. Tungsten is stupid heavy and would not be a good material for a nock bushing.

I used to order carbon express bulldog nock collars for whatever size arrow I was using then they got hard to find. I don’t remember the brand but Lancaster carries a brand with a wide range of sizes, and whatever nock you are using still fits.
I use the Lancaster ordered ones on 300 spine Easton axis with bohning A nocks and on Gold tip 300 spine standards with bohning blazer nocks. I use bright fletching so my friends like it when I shoot first and give them an aiming point. The collars save many many arrows each year

MattB

WKR
For what arrow?

Back in the day I used Eaton ACC nock bushings and g-nocks in my 6MM shafts, really liked that combination.

sndmn11

WKR

Use both a bushing and collar if you really want to armor up.

OP
D

dylaneh

FNG
I posted a thread a while back about my arrows for TAC. Someone suggested I used nock bushing but I didn’t really want to add weight to the back of my arrow. After losing almost 5 or 6 arrows from people hitting the back of my arrow i think it would be beneficial to use them. Do yall have any recommendations on what are the best nock bushings to use preferably the lightest but also I want them to be really tough and protect the back of my arrow. I would love to have some tungsten bushings does anyone know if anyone makes these?

i will be shooting victory rip xv in a 300 spine. and yes i meant titanium. my dumb is showing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

entropy

FNG
Only experience I have with nock bushings is the ones that come with Black Eagle Spartans, and I can tell you from experience, those particular bushings won't save your arrow if you hit it with another one.

The collars don't offer much protection on a lot of arrows. I think they actually help to center a point in a shaft. If shooting a .166-.165 shaft they help, but on a .244-.246 I think they are a waste.

A pin bushing offers the most protection, but I wouldn't recommend them for heavier DW and arrows. I don't personally use them over 65# of DW, not a lot of meat left in a pin nock. Might be a non-issue, haven't tried to prove it.

Bushings that reduce the inside diameter are probably your best option.

More details on your arrows are needed to make actual recommendations.

Marble

WKR
The collars don't offer much protection on a lot of arrows. I think they actually help to center a point in a shaft. If shooting a .166-.165 shaft they help, but on a .244-.246 I think they are a waste.

A pin bushing offers the most protection, but I wouldn't recommend them for heavier DW and arrows. I don't personally use them over 65# of DW, not a lot of meat left in a pin nock. Might be a non-issue, haven't tried to prove it.

I was thinking pin bushings would be better also. I shoot those in all my 3D shoots. They do help prevent ruining an arrow, they are light and not expensive.

You think shooting them at 70 would be a problem? I would think the manufacturer would say that if it were an issue.

But trying to argue, i'm genuinely curious.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR

When I was shooting .244 (CarbonTech Whitetails), I was surprised by how many of my nock bushings either had smudges from impact or how many nocks I wrecked without damaging shafts. That is just my experience, but for me it was money well spent by having to replace bushings and/or nocks and not shafts.

sndmn11

WKR
i will be shooting victory rip xv in a 300 spine. and yes i meant titanium. my dumb is showing.

6.6mm

Large

Size 4 (.165)

You think shooting them at 70 would be a problem? I would think the manufacturer would say that if it were an issue.

This is what is always rumored. I also hear to not use them with Mathew’s. The cam cycle is rough, I have had issues with Easton G nocks. Haven't had a bit of problem with pin nocks myself, but like I said I haven't used them past 65#.

Gold tip makes an HD pin nock that Gillingham told me to use at one point, haven't messed with them tho. Once I started using Beiter that's the only nocks I have used.

Just check the bushings after an impact. They save a shaft generally, but they get damaged and need replaced. A gouge in them will generally lift one side, material gets pushed down past the seating edge, so that pushes the bushing out of alignment.

OP
D

dylaneh

FNG

what is the problem with using them with a heavier draw weight. i’ll be shooting 70lbs in a mathews lift 33

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using Bohning A nocks in all my .204 arrows for several years now. Since going to these nocks, I have not damaged or broken the back end of a single arrow. I break a lot of nocks, but the arrows are fine......and replacing nocks is cheap.