Non center post tripod recommendation

What non center post tripods are people using to shoot off of? I already have the anvil 30 head to shoot off of. But I’m needing up swap out my tripod. The center post flexes too much when extended. Looking to have the option to be able to take standing shots. Thanks.

RRS 34L = great stability with a weight penalty
RRS 24L = good compromise between weight and stability.
RRS Ascend 14L = okay stability in a lightweight package.

I train with the 24L and hunt with the 14L

From my perspective:
Glassing off a ball head.....sucks!
Shooting off a panning head.....sucks!

My solution has been to glass with a panning head (Sirui VA-5) mounted to a full length center column (RRS Ascend 14L). Combined with carrying a RRS Anvil 30 (with bolt, washer and allen wrench) on my pack’s waist belt (Marsupial Gear 'small zippered pouch' ....works great).

When a shooting situation presents itself, generally, you’ll have time and opportunity to pull the ‘glassing’ center column/panning head out of the legs and attach the Anvil 30, using the bolt and washer. This can be done in under a minute.

If you don’t have time to do this...you’re prolly looking at a closer range shot and could use another, hastier, option for supporting the rifle. An example would be....throwing an Armageddon Gear Pint Sized Game Changer (filled with Git-Lite fill) over the top of your panning head and then you'd still be able to shoot off your tripod.

An example of all of this coming together, played out on this years' moose hunt. We glassed from a ridge, using the panning head, for 5 days before we found a bull we wanted to kill. Before the stalk began.....I swapped the center column for the Anvil 30. During the stalk, which lasted about an hour, we relocated/kept tabs on the bull using a pair of 12x binos mounted to the Anvil 30. Because my spotting scope plates and binocular adapters are Arca-Swiss compatible....it's easy to go back and forth with different head types. Once we got within range of the bull...the rifle was direct connected to the tripod.

We were in waist -to- shoulder height brush, the entire stalk, once we left the ridge top.

If I have to choose between carrying the extra weight of an Anvil 30 or a bipod.....there's no doubt it'll be the Anvil 30.

I would've hated glassing all day, for 5 days straight, with the Anvil 30 and wouldn't have wanted to shoot off the Sirui pan head when given an opportunity at a bull. Honestly, swapping back and forth between heads is no big deal.View attachment 348398
Here’s a post I made on a similar thread.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I'm not sure why this one doesn’t get mentioned but I use the Benro tortoise 1 tripod (columnless) with the anvil 30 head. Nice and stable, fairly lightweight.......total weight with head is 3 pounds, 2 ounces, 20.5 inches long.......and does what I need it to. I use my tripods for both glassing and shooting off of and I've been really happy with it.

Randy

20221030_155724.jpgScreenshot_20230423_085058_Gallery.jpg

OP
Oregonhuntrboi
I'm not sure why this one doesn’t get mentioned but I use the Benro tortoise 1 tripod (columnless) with the anvil 30 head. Nice and stable, fairly lightweight.......total weight with head is 3 pounds, 2 ounces, 20.5 inches long.......and does what I need it to. I use my tripods for both glassing and shooting off of and I've been really happy with it.

Randy

View attachment 545860View attachment 545861
Thanks for sharing. I’ll check it out.

OP
Oregonhuntrboi

Randy

View attachment 545860View attachment 545861
What length did you go with? Do you feel like you have the ability to shoot standing with it if you needed to?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
What length did you go with? Do you feel like you have the ability to shoot standing with it if you needed to?
I think the heights are dependent on what model you get as in the tortoise 1, 2, 3, etc.
I went with the 1 as I try to shoot prone or sitting and I glass sitting. That being said, I could easily shoot off the 1 kneeling or standing if I kind of bent over a bit.......way doable. I think the height on it is 50 inches or so.
I just took a photo of it extended for you next to a countertop for reference and some lower positions. As you know, the anvil 30 head is amazing.20230423_101434.jpg20230423_101705.jpg20230423_102056.jpg20230423_101824.jpg20230423_102056.jpg

Randy

@mtnwrunner I noticed in your pictures above, both glassing and shooting, that the ball release/clamping lever is oriented backwards. Why are you choosing to use it that way? I’ve never seen anyone else do the same thing.

This is a great tripod to shoot off

Last edited:
OP
Oregonhuntrboi
I think the heights are dependent on what model you get as in the tortoise 1, 2, 3, etc.
I went with the 1 as I try to shoot prone or sitting and I glass sitting. That being said, I could easily shoot off the 1 kneeling or standing if I kind of bent over a bit.......way doable. I think the height on it is 50 inches or so.
I just took a photo of it extended for you next to a countertop for reference and some lower positions. As you know, the anvil 30 head is amazing.View attachment 545916View attachment 545917View attachment 545919View attachment 545918View attachment 545919

Randy
I ended up finding one on eBay for a really good price that I’m gonna try out. Thanks for the recommendation.