NXS 5.5-22x50 vs ATACR 4-16x50 MOAR F2

McFarmer

FNG
Well, after having a Leupold VX5 lose zero last year and returning a Trijicon Tenmile (wasn’t a fan of the reticle), I believe I am just going to pick up a Nightforce with a MOAR reticle for my primary hunting rig (Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter LA, 300 win). With that being said, I am trying to decide between the NXS 5.5-22x50 and ATACR 4-16x50 MOAR F2 as I do want the MOAR in SFP, but I am unsure if the price jump up to the ATACR is really worth it. I have owned a SHV previously and was happy with it, however none of my local haunts have the NXS or ATACR’s in stock to compare and am wondering what I would really gain with the ATACR. I also considered the NX8 but will pass on these due to reticle options in SFP. And before anyone chimes in, yes I have searched the forum for this very topic.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Will the lower end magnification 4 vs 5.5 make a difference for you?

Will the higher end magnification 22 vs 16 make a difference to you?

Nearest shot? Farthest shot?

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
Will the lower end magnification 4 vs 5.5 make a difference for you?

Will the higher end magnification 22 vs 16 make a difference to you?

Nearest shot? Farthest shot?
This is going to be solely a replacement for my current elk and mule deer rig so realistically all shots taken will be within 800yds. However, not everything is open country so dark timber is a consideration. It is also the reason why 16x on the high end should be plenty in my opinion. The low end difference is marginal

kickemall

WKR
This is going to be solely a replacement for my current elk and mule deer rig so realistically all shots taken will be within 800yds. However, not everything is open country so dark timber is a consideration. It is also the reason why 16x on the high end should be plenty in my opinion. The low end difference is marginal
If dark timber is involved then the 4-16 would be my pick simply because of the slightly better glass. I’m not sure an NX8 in 2.5-20 wouldn’t be the best bet for what your describing because of the low end mag, although you have ruled that out.

OP
M

McFarmer

FNG
If dark timber is involved then the 4-16 would be my pick simply because of the slightly better glass. I’m not sure an NX8 in 2.5-20 wouldn’t be the best bet for what your describing because of the low end mag, although you have ruled that out.
The issue with the NX8 is purely due to the lack of reticle choices being too thin. Additionally, the NX8 2.5-20 is too short bodied to mount on my application