Objectively measuring sharpness

SlimTim

FNG
I’m falling down a blade sharpness rabbit hole and have been wondering how to objectively measure blade sharpness at home.

I see people rubbing their finger over an edge and say “yep, that’s sharp” and I’ve seen people cut pieces of paper. Neither of those techniques are objective in anyway. The finger test relies of many physiological parameters and I can both cut and scrunch paper with the same blade.

Has anyone got any other ways that may be a little more objective without special equipment?

Cheers,
Tim.

WoodBow

WKR
If you are wanting to measure and compare, you will probably need some tools to do so. John Lusk does a tremendous amount of testing and I believe you measures sharpness by the measure pressure it requires to cut some kind of wire. Look up Lusk archery on youtube.

If you just want to make sure they are sharp, shaving hair is hard to beat. I try to get mine where they will cut hair mid shaft. So the force required to cut the hair is less than the force needed to push the hair down against the skin.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I haven't used this product, but it fits your request for objective.

If you wanted to get the same setup on a budget, a walmart/amazon kitchen scale and DIY rig of aluminum wire might work. I say aluminum wire because that is suggested test medium in the link. I guess a wide variety of fishing lines might work too, as long as you are consistent.

TaperPin

WKR
I see people rubbing their finger over an edge and say “yep, that’s sharp”
When I worked for the Forest Service in my 20’s, when someone from a different crew tested their knife that way, we would offer to sharpen their knife - then chuckle a bit when they cut themselves testing it. Lol

Rubbing a blade softly over a fingernail, in a scraping motion, a dull blade won’t grab and moves smoothly over the nail, but a fairly sharp one will chatter.

Shaving a little hair off your hand doesn’t take a super sharp blade, but to do it with very little effort does. On a fire crew when I’d sharpen other people’s blades out of boredom, my left hand and forearm were often lacking big patches of hair.

TaperPin

WKR
Finger nail or sharpie, never fails, super easy, immediate
Sharpie? I’ve never heard of that one - that’s a great idea. When I show our boys how to test with a fingernail they look at me like it’s crazy. Lol I’ll add a sharpie to their Christmas stockings this year. 🙂

Mikido

WKR
yea it’s also super easy to get a feel for it. Dull
Knives also reflect light into your eye. Test with some
Kitchen knives

Mikido

WKR
sharp enough for me doesn’t chatter, just gets stuck in the nail

OP
S

SlimTim

FNG
You can certainly check if a blade is sharp enough by checking for chatter on your nail, reflecting light or rubbing across your thumb. But is there a difference between sharp enough and really sharp? For example, will my arrow penetration be any different if I have a sharp enough blade or a super sharp blade? I suppose there are no surprises for how far into the dirt your arrows sticks after passing through an animal.