Old summer sausage - would you eat it

Found some elk summer sausage stuffed in the freezer and don't know how I missed it! From an elk killed in September 2019 and this sausage was made by a local processor. It was vacuum sealed and in a deep freezer this whole time. Pulled a log out, thawed, and it smells fine. Eating some now and will report back but wonder what the WKRs have to say. Would you eat 4 year old summer sausage?

The amount of people that give away wild game cause they think it’s “to old” makes me sick. Well couldn’t eat all my elk from 2 yrs ago, shot another one so who has dogs that will eat this.

I agree if it’s packaged correctly, smells fine and looks good then eat it. Pretty sure I’ve ate worse than 5yr old frozen meat before. Fat is usually what makes meat go rancid, but you’ll know if it’s thawed and it don’t smell bad you shouldn’t have any worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other day I tried to eat a leftover summer sausage log from the 2020 season. It had Pepperjack Cheese mixed in it.

The cheese had gone bad. It was nasty.

I like to go into deer season with an empty freezer. This year we arnt even close to being empty. So, we are for sure trophy hunting only this year.

Rinella in one of his MeatEater books says he doesn’t even touch certain meats till they’ve been in freezer for one year (I think mainly bear meat and other tougher meats). He says it breaks it down nicely.

Doubt that applies to elk because it tastes great out of the gate - but cook some up and see what a bite smells / tastes like.

Keep us updated after you test it out tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ate some deer summer sausage last year that had been in freezer since 2019. Maybe a little mushier than normal, but other than that, just fine!

wy_will

FNG
People have found 10 year old meats in the freezer and ate them. It will be completely fine. You won’t even notice a difference.