Painting a riser

gobears870

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Hoyt Carbon Element G3 that is starting to show its age. The camo paint/dip has started to chip and peel all along the riser and especially around the grip and shelf. The limbs are still in good shape, though.

I was considering having the whole thing hydro dipped but my local bow shop talked me out of it. They said they had seen a number of examples of limbs not fitting back into pockets quite right after hydro dipping. I'd rather not spend a couple hundred bucks and run that risk.

Since my limbs look fine I'm thinking of painting only the riser myself. Why? Because its the off season, I'm bored, and I'm borderline OCD. I think camo limbs and an olive/FDE riser would be a sharp look, too.

Who all has done this? Have you used just regular Rustoleum camo paint? How about primer and matte clear coat? Or are there some tougher/more durable paints out there to consider?

A guy at my bow shop
Always paints his riser and accessories. Uses matte paint to eliminate any glare. Pretty sure it’s just a common rattle can of paint.

I personally don’t mind the battle wounds but it’s your weapon. Make it what you like. Buy a couple cans and have one for touch ups later on.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I sprayed my 17 Obsession Turmoil Rz when I was bored one weekend and was tired of the black. I used the krylon camo stuff and it turned out ok. I removed the sight and rest and taped off the limbs and everything else. After 3 years I’m starting to see some wear at the grip, but otherwise it’s holding up well. For a rattle can job it turned out decent. I may change it up again this offseason as I’m tired of the camo look.

IMG_7348.jpeg