Paleo in the backcountry

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm fairly new to paleo and at the moment I'm also low carb. I was wondering what you paleo people carry in the backcountry? What's your daily food look like and how much does it weigh? Also what's your favorite normal daily foods?

AdamW

WKR
Tag for interest.

I made some home made dehydrated paleo meals for a recent weekend trip. Diced sweet potatoes and onions and ground beef or venison with spices. Very good!

I just discovered Heather's Choice this year. She makes great meals that are paleo. Another option is Alpine Aire and Backpackers Pantry. I take hard boiled eggs and cooked bacon for breakfast and I generally do bars, salami, dried fruit, and nuts for lunch. The dehydrated/freeze meals I save for supper. Potatoes are a quasi-unpaleo but I add some powdered mashed potatoes to my meal. When I'm hiking all day I feel like I need a starchy carb and sweet potatoes are as easy unless you dehydrate your own meals.

OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just discovered Heather's Choice this year. She makes great meals that are paleo. Another option is Alpine Aire and Backpackers Pantry. I take hard boiled eggs and cooked bacon for breakfast and I generally do bars, salami, dried fruit, and nuts for lunch. The dehydrated/freeze meals I save for supper. Potatoes are a quasi-unpaleo but I add some powdered mashed potatoes to my meal. When I'm hiking all day I feel like I need a starchy carb and sweet potatoes are as easy unless you dehydrate your own meals.
What kind of bars?

Ray

WKR
Keep in mind that if you are really pushing yourself you will need to refeed your muscle glycogen. So mashed taters, rice, rice noddles, diced sweet potatoes, etc.

And props go to heather's choice. Her food rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk