Papa Bear 2017..The moose hunt...the good, the bad, and the ugly (not real ugly)

Saunch33

FNG
I have hunter with papa bear several times mostly float hunts. Are you float or drop camp

mcseal2

WKR
When we went last year with the new owners they were great, no complaints on anything on their end.

That said we booked in 2015 for a 2018 hunt. We booked with Steve the former owner. They honored his price for our hunt of under $5500. It was a great hunt that ended up costing us about 8k each with all costs from leaving home to getting home included. That said I'm sure glad we went when we did. From what I heard Renfro's was already at the 8k pricing level when we went and PB just caught up.

I have no complaints at all about our hunt, and I think this is just what a moose hunt to a pre-scouted area is going to cost now for a new client. Demand is high and I sure won't blame anyone for pricing to match demand, no hard feelings there. I also can't schedule the follow up hunt I'd love to do at this price. It may be a once in a lifetime hunt with my finances, or at best a once a decade hunt.

Enjoy what we have now everyone. Between limitations on hunting, prices, and pressure to bring wolves back into areas like Colorado, we may be seeing our passion become hard to enjoy.

Saunch33

FNG
The float hunts are great . We float about 40 mile of river. We usually set 6 to 8 camps. Staying anywhere from 1 to 3 days at each camp. Our last trip in 2017 produced 2 great bulls 60 and 57 inch bulls. I have hunted with Renfros on a drop hunt . We went 3 for 3 . We were in a good area but everything else about the trip was not good

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I think a ridge top hunt for my style would be ideal but this is once in my lifetime hunt for me and just want a big bull to bring home regardless what it takes to put one down. I float and raft our river every weekend 6 months out of the year so I would love to do a river hunt but I don’t want to break camp over and over especially once you have one or 2 bulls down and loading/u loading meat daily and making new meat poles etc but it’d be awesome other than that and I’m sure with meat that brings in huge bear factor on the river. Hopefully we’ll get lucky and be in moose and a lil higher ground than the swamp like Mcseal experienced. What was your experience with Renfroe?

Saunch33

FNG
Renfros books to many parties at a time. If they loose a day due to weather every group is bumped a day. We arrived and waited 2 extra days to fly into the field. We were pretty upset until we talked to a hunter that was on a 10 day moose grizz guided 25k that was delayed 3 days. The weather was beautiful light winds etc .

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for Info saunch. How big of bulls did u 3 end up taking? We’re u in swamp delta like mcseal or did u have a little bit of high ground?

Saunch33

FNG
54 inch 47 inch and 42 inch. There was no elevation we had a 2 man raft that we used to transport the moose to a centralized location. My two buddies shot smaller bulls on day 5 and 6 of a 12 day trip. After they killed we had several bulls in the 50-55 inch class that we called in to within 50 yards of our camp. It was there first time moose hunting and they wanted to make sure they came home with a bull. From day 7 to day 12 we called renfroe to see about an early pick up unfortunately they said they were so busy that we may not even get out on our scheduled pickup. They did pick us up on our original date. It is hard to be to upset when the moose hunting was so good. If my buddies had been more patient we would have gone 3 for 3 on bulls over 50 inch

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
54 inch 47 inch and 42 inch. There was no elevation we had a 2 man raft that we used to transport the moose to a centralized location. My two buddies shot smaller bulls on day 5 and 6 of a 12 day trip. After they killed we had several bulls in the 50-55 inch class that we called in to within 50 yards of our camp. It was there first time moose hunting and they wanted to make sure they came home with a bull. From day 7 to day 12 we called renfroe to see about an early pick up unfortunately they said they were so busy that we may not even get out on our scheduled pickup. They did pick us up on our original date. It is hard to be to upset when the moose hunting was so good. If my buddies had been more patient we would have gone 3 for 3 on bulls over 50 inch
that's awesome, my goal in mine is upper 50's. But then again, it's going to depend on what were seeing, the lay of the land, and many other factors. i dont think i could pass a good early-mid 50's at any point unless were seeing them everywhere day 1. it's so hard to say because everybody that has hunted w/PB or Renfro has had something diff to say so we'll see what the good lord has in stock for us, thx again. anyone else that's been chime in plz..