Peak refuel fail

8 days on a sheep hunt and my buddy had no complaints - breakfasts and dinners all Peaks.
I on the other hand had terrible results and couldn't eat the last three nights because food was making me nauseous - not sure if it was the meals or if my stomach was just on the frits.

ThiloAK

FNG
Only Peak I have had that issue with is their Biscuits and Gravy. The biscuits did not rehydrate at all, possibly because I did not crumble them before adding the water. Other than that, I've eaten about 20 of them this year and had no issues!

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
My experience is Peak always needs more water than instructions indicate. Stir well initially, and halfway through, then no issues for me. Always have some Peak in my dinner rotation along with other brands and some home made.

JRay

Lil-Rokslider
I know if I don’t leave them in their original packaging when cooking they cool down quicker and don’t hydrate as well. I’m also in the camp of using additional water for cooking.

GuyinIdaho

Lil-Rokslider
My group also had the same issues with some peaks not hydrating all the way and getting some crunchy meals. Tried extra water, extra cook time. I switched back to mnt house, after years of peaks, and have been impressed. I am able to find them about 1/2 the cost of peaks. Yes less calories but they fully hydrate and taste seems to be better than what I remember from mnt house.

another thing with peaks, they seem to cool off super quick. Maybe its cause its less water but was disappointed how fast they cooled off. (not the breakfast skillet)

j3h8

FNG
Adding to this older thread. Wrap the dehydrated meals in your jacket or sleeping bag (amazing for pre-warming your bag for a good snooze) and you'll be amazed how much heat they'll retain as well as how much better they rehydrate.

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Adding to this older thread. Wrap the dehydrated meals in your jacket or sleeping bag (amazing for pre-warming your bag for a good snooze) and you'll be amazed how much heat they'll retain as well as how much better they rehydrate.
I haven't tried that. I typically only eat 1 per day for back country hunts and eat it just prior to evening gladsing. Not sure I could wait that long.

j3h8

FNG
I haven't tried that. I typically only eat 1 per day for back country hunts and eat it just prior to evening gladsing. Not sure I could wait that long.
I have to eat all the time or I lose my patience.
Are you saying waiting until camp/bed time? I understand that, which is why I mentioned the jacket as well. I do it both ways. If I have eaten my meal before camp, I'll warm a nalgene and throw that in my bag to warm it and keep my feet extra toasty all night. Bonus is that on those really cold hunts you have drinkable water in the morning.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
I have a freeze drier and the quality of the bags makes a difference in flavor.

I don't get mtn house shelf life, but I also don't put anything extra for salt or preservatives.

The size of the food pieces makes a big difference as well.

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have to eat all the time or I lose my p

Are you saying waiting until camp/bed time? I understand that, which is why I mentioned the jacket as well. I do it both ways. If I have eaten my meal before camp, I'll warm a nalgene and throw that in my bag to warm it and keep my feet extra toasty all night. Bonus is that on those really cold hunts you have drinkable water in the morning.
Yes, I typically wait till I'm back. My food is usually pre workout and vitamin packet in the morning, bone broth while glassing, ramen packet mid day, and a meal at night. The hot Nalgene has been great a couple of rough nights.

OP
NorthernHunter

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a freeze drier and the quality of the bags makes a difference in flavor.

I don't get mtn house shelf life, but I also don't put anything extra for salt or preservatives.

The size of the food pieces makes a big difference as well.
I keep thinking about the freeze drier. At some point I think it needs to happen for me. I would rather make my own. You probably have much better food options than me.

Wrench

WKR
I keep thinking about the freeze drier. At some point I think it needs to happen for me. I would rather make my own. You probably have much better food options than me.
I do my own meals and typically will do morel and elk stroganoff, bear sausage sweet and sour rice, elk carne asada....it's a bit of a learning curve but it gives my wife something to fiddle with. We do a lot of fruits and vegetables too. Simple canned beans with seasoning become crunchy salty snacks. Canned mangoes will start fights for the last one.