Pellet smoker summer sausage

Jfujan

FNG
I'm looking at making summer sausage on my GMG pellet smoker. I've read Ideally you want to start at 130 deg but my smoker only goes down to 150 deg. For anyone that has done this what sequence of temps did you use? Did it turn out? Going to make a 25 lb batch of 2.4" casings.

Thanks

Run it for an hour on your lowest setting. If you’re at 150, you may go 2-3 hours and bump it to no more than 180 until you hit 155 internal, unless you have a different preferred temp. I use a pitboss IMG_7950.jpeg

TSAMP

WKR
It's not hard to get it pretty at all. I've used my GMG for 100's of lbs of SS. Start at 150 is fine. If you try and do all 24lbs at once you'll be in for a long cook. I usually do around 12 lbs at a time.
I personally won't raise temp over 165, which is my finishing internal temp. I use high temp cheese and don't want to liquify fat or melt that.

Make sure you ice bath it after to stop the cook and let it bloom. Look it up on Waltons if that all sounds foreign to you. They have a step by step process.

Be patient. I had 20 lbs in my grill a month ago and had to stay up until midnight to let it finish. I think that cook took nearly 8 hours.

What he said! 👆
I've tried to do all 30lbs at once on a pellet grill and its an uneven disaster even if you keep a rotation going. Two small batches is the way to go.

Its nice making it in the summer because I'll just use a smoke maze and the heat from that plus direct sunlight the grill will get up to 120-130 on its own to start the sausages for the first couple hours.

Here is a really good guide from @92xj. I followed his recipe once on my vertical pit boss and a buddy did his deer with the same instructions on some sort of gas powered smoker. I did it when it was cold out, so my smoker stayed pretty low to start.