Platypus Big Zip Failures

Shrek

WKR
I went to refill my 3L big zip this morning and it had come apart where the bag attaches to the zip. Has anybody else had this problem and is it common ? I would hate to be in BFE and have this happen. I have a spare to go workout with and REI just replaced the bad one but if it's a common failure I might want to explore other options.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We have not experienced what you describe, but we did notice that both our big zip bladders eventually started leaking at the zippers after approx 2+ years of heavy use. Not what I would describe as catastrophic failure, as we used them for the remainder of each trip after we noticed that they seemed to leak. I can't be sure it wasn't just grit in the zipper, but scrubbing the zip didn't seem to improve it. we elected to go ahead and replace them as we felt we had gotten more than our money's worth out of them, not sure they were truly designed to withstand what we have put them through. We replaced the with the same product without hesitation, figuring that they served us well but just wore out eventually.

Craig4791

WKR
One of mine has a small leak near the corner of the zip. That was after a lot of field use. I bought another as and I've been running it ever since. I always carry a nalgene bottle for that reason.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I haven't heard of problems and the replies confirm that this is an uncommon problem. I'm back to having two now and while I was at REI I checked out the sawyer mini. I think I'm going to buy one and see how it works in line on my drinking hose like I'm running the squeeze now. If it works as well as the squeeze in line then it will be a solid improvement. It's about half the size of the squeeze filter so if it flows well enough to drink without fighting with it I'll be happy.

Craig4791

WKR
I think you will like the inline. It flows surprisingly well. I only run it though when the water is plentyful.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Craig , are you referring to the inline or the new mini ? I run a squeeze filter with adapters now which is about the same as the old inline filter. The new mini is much smaller. I'm hoping your experience is with the new mini.

Craig4791

WKR
How new is it? Mines pretty small but not sure its the mini. I think I got it in late spring last year.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I didn't see it last year when I was shopping but there was an inline kit that looked about the same size as the squeeze filter. I just bought the squeeze and some adapters then. The mini looks to be half the size as the squeeze.

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Have never had any issues with my Big Zips. Although I feel like I am always running the risk when using a bladder vs. a water bottle, no matter the brand of bladder I am using.

MattB

WKR
I have 2 and have never had any problems with them leaking that wasn't user error. I take both bladders and leave 1 tube/valve set-up at home in case I get a leak. On longer trips I will take an extra bite valve as well.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every time I see one of those Platypus bladders all I can think of is "leaky". That's just my perception of what I see. Of course I've never had good luck with ziplock bags in general, so I just steer clear of the concept altogether. I've had my military Camelback 3L about 10 years now and the only issue was a lower o-ring that needed replaced. They sent out a few of them free of charge and it's been good as new.

Last edited: