Quartering Knife Recommendations

TxLite

WKR
Looking for recommendations to replace the Gerber Vital I’ve been using. The shape is great for what I do and I like having the gut hook built in. I end up using the gut hook for tendons and zipping through the hide in certain areas when quartering. I’ve found that it’s comfortable in my hands and efficient for quickly quartering whitetail sized game, but the steel gets dull fairly quickly.

Are there any knives you guys would recommend that would be similar in function, but with better steel?

E37750D9-93B3-4918-B028-3C4BA377FD3F.jpeg

Marshfly

WKR
Anything with the SV30 or SV90 type of steel will hold an edge significantly longer than anything else. Harder to sharpen but will tear down multiple deer gutless method with that edge alone.

My Benchmade Hidden Canyon will easily do two deer before needing a touch up with no assistance from another knife.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
Anything with the SV30 or SV90 type of steel will hold an edge significantly longer than anything else. Harder to sharpen but will tear down multiple deer gutless method with that edge alone.

My Benchmade Hidden Canyon will easily do two deer before needing a touch up with no assistance from another knife.
I like the shape of that Hidden Canyon.

I couldn’t find what steel the Gerber uses. It’s decent for 1 deer but past that it starts to fall apart. I have a havalon as well but this season I found myself gravitating towards the Gerber and really enjoyed it

Marshfly

WKR
I like the shape of that Hidden Canyon.

I couldn’t find what steel the Gerber uses. It’s decent for 1 deer but past that it starts to fall apart. I have a havalon as well but this season I found myself gravitating towards the Gerber and really enjoyed it

I bought it strictly for the shape. Works awesome for everything on an animal in the field.

Buck makes a couple similar as well that are available with better steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshfly

WKR
Back at the computer. The Buck Alpha Scout and Alpha Hunter as well as the Ranger Skinner are similar and a great all purpose skinning/field processing shape IMHO.

I like my havalon piranha for hide work. Replace blades as needed, keep it razor sharp.

My buck 110 is better for leg joints and loin removal. A steel or cheap field sharpener touches it up in the field.

I carry both.

OP
TxLite

TxLite

WKR
I like my havalon piranha for hide work. Replace blades as needed, keep it razor sharp.

My buck 110 is better for leg joints and loin removal. A steel or cheap field sharpener touches it up in the field.

I carry both.
I’ve got both of those as well. I like the idea of the piranha but in use I found the blade shape of the Gerber and built in guthook to be much more useful for quick quartering

I’ve got both of those as well. I like the idea of the piranha but in use I found the blade shape of the Gerber and built in guthook to be much more useful for quick quartering
I have a second havalon set up with their gut hook. It works.