QUIET Wind Shell / Wind Shirt for Hunting

I've learned how valuable wind shirts are from the hiking and running World. For something so lightweight they pack an incredible amount of insulation by trapping air and preventing wind from robbing insulation from your base and insulation layers. The wind shirts I have like the Houdini are nice, but LOUD. Even if I wear it under my outermost wool layer. I also have wind blocking jackets from Cabela's but they are a thick, one-piece jacket. The Houdini can be packed as small as a Tennis ball.
I've never seen the Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite stuff in person. I'm looking for a quiet and thin non-insulating soft shell / wind shirt. Do these exist in the hunting world yet? I love having wool and fleece for active hiking and the breathability they provide, but would love to have something I could fit into a cargo pocket that I could pull out and wear on top of, or under my outer most layer that would block wind and be very quiet. I've tried putting my Houdini under a wool jacket, but it's way too scratchy sounding for me.

EDIT: I also think a quiet, packable thin puffy might serve for this purpose as well if they exist.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

sloveless

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for the same thing. The closest I've been able to find is the solid (Green Color) North Face Apex wind shirt. I picked it up at cabelas in their bargain cave. not completely windproof, but takes the edge off.

Look at the sitka Mountain jacket or vest. Single layer of windstopper, i think it weighs 8 oz or something like that. Like an anorexic jet stream.

I usually wear a wind proof vest when bowhunting to find the right balance between quietness and wind protection. In really wind conditions the wind is loud enough to cover any noise my rain gear makes and I ll hunt in that.