Readying for next years elk

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Not bad! I had rebarreled my Traditions St.Louis Hawken about 1 1/2 months ago and ended up using a CVA Hawken .54cal barrel. With muzzleloader season having come and gone, I figured it was time to sit down and start to work up some serious loads for next year.

Today I finally sat down and took my time, swabbing the bore between each shot, letting everything cool down, seating the patched round ball consistently on the powder. I even went as far as using a drop tube to keep the powder off the walls of the bore.

Using 90gr 2fg Gearhart - Owen black powder, .020" patches and .530" home cast round balls, I produced this nice little group. I'm not sure if I want to touch that rear sight though. Sometimes just the tiniest amount moves it over a few inches.

Next time out, I'll up the charge to 100 and 110gr and see how the group holds up. Very happy with that new barrel!

WKR
I hear you on drifting sights. Mine is a touch farther off than that and to the right. It'll work just fine. New barrel is perking nicely. How hard are those balls to seat with a .020 patch? I gave up a little accuracy and went to the .015 in a couple just cause I could seat a ball easier while hunting. Am using an over powder felt wad though.

OP
FrontierGander

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
not bad at all. The lube on the patch makes all the difference in how nasty one will load. I can go up to .024" patch, but thats a range load only as its to snug to get down with a wooden ramrod.