Reattaching Antelope Sheaths on a Euro Mount Advice

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
So, I did my first antelope euro mount on my own last year and it all went very smooth until I put bondo inside the sheaths and reattached them. They went on crooked and did not look like the antelope did originally. Luckily, I was very glad I used bondo as I could boil them and then twist them off and pull the bondo back off and try again.

I am now going to do another one - curious if anyone has any advice on getting them to line up straight/how they originally were when reattaching. I feel like every video/forum I've looked at, people just slide them back on and they seem to go on perfectly.

Thanks!

CGSwimmer25

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with Antelope, but with Mountain Goat I was taught to drill a small pilot hole through the back of the horn sheath into the core for each horn. Then when putting the sheaths back on you use a pin through the holes for proper placement while the bondo is setting. No help to you now but may help with future projects. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mix the bondo hot( use more of the red stuff) hold them in place while it cures should only take a minute or two by the time you mix it and get enough of it spooned inside both sheaths.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have used bondo as well. Once removing all the flesh between the sheath and the horn core there is alot of empty space so I had to fiddle with them getting them propped just right as the bondo dried but it turned out good I think.

Stalker69

WKR
Measure from the nose to each horn tip ( write it down) then the width at tips and the prongs ( again write them down) , do this before removing them. Then when you “ set” them refer to your measurements.

I have done a lot of antelope, oryx, sheep, etc euros. I always drill a small hole in the back of each sheath about 1” from the bottom. I usually run a small Sheetrock screw through when I set the sheaths. It sets perfect every time and I can set it down and walk away to do another project. There is always more tissue in the front of the sheaths and the back sits flush with the horn core. If there is a noticeable gap in the front then they are set right. Drilling the hole also allows you to set the proper depth as well and not set them down the core too far.

Fitzwho

WKR
I use those adhesive strips. The gummy blue ones. I use a small strip on the inner side of the horn core. Then slide the sheaths on over the top. It spaces it out perfect to make a friction fit and holds them in the correct spot.

OP
PGWest

PGWest

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! I drilled some holes and used some screws in the back of the sheaths like @butcherboy and @CGSwimmer25 mentioned and it worked great. I was worried about the holes being noticeable, but they weren't at all.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!