Recommendations for Gundog trainer MN/ND/SD/MT

NDGuy

WKR
Hey folks, I have an 8 month old Golden Retriever/Irish Setter Mix that I might want to send off to training this summer.

Anyone have a good recommendation for obedience/hunt/retrieving training? Looking for a 1-2 month program.

Thanks folks!

KurtR

WKR
No trainer worth sending the dog to will do 1 or 2 months thats not long enough and they are not going to put their reputation out there with out being able to do the job right. 3 months is the shortest and thats just for obedience with minimal gun dog work

First what are you looking to accomplish with the dog. Like do you want it ff and collar conditioned is it going to point or be a retriever. What are you expecting to pay to have the dog trained?

Kindo

WKR
I haven’t used him myself but I’ve heard good things about River Stone Kennels in New Richmond, WI.

In highschool, my family used John Flink with Monday Lake Kennels in Sarona, WI. Our labs came out of his program as complete machines!

My current pointer I trained myself and plan on doing the same with our newest addition.

KurtR

WKR
I haven’t used him myself but I’ve heard good things about River Stone Kennels in New Richmond, WI.

In highschool, my family used John Flink with Monday Lake Kennels in Sarona, WI. Our labs came out of his program as complete machines!

My current pointer I trained myself and plan on doing the same with our newest addition.
Josh is the real deal. For gun dog your looking a 5-6 months. With how good he is i would bet he is full for the summer already. Alot of the pros are on winter trips right now and might have a few spring openings

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I would love to do it myself but I am crammed on time with young kids in sports. Figured I'd rather pay the pro and get rewarded with the dividends vs risking not setting the time aside.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Josh is the real deal. For gun dog your looking a 5-6 months. With how good he is i would bet he is full for the summer already. Alot of the pros are on winter trips right now and might have a few spring openings
Thanks Kurt. I looked at Over the Top Retrievers in Monticello MN and a few folks in SD as well.

Martinsens Red Point Kennel are great from what I have heard.

KurtR

WKR
Thanks Kurt. I looked at Over the Top Retrievers in Monticello MN and a few folks in SD as well.

Martinsens Red Point Kennel are great from what I have heard.
Those two kennels will train the dogs different than each other. The question is does the dog show more setter traits or more golden traits? If your wanting more of a retriever i would look for a trainer that focuses on that

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Sauk River Kennels in Osakis, MN is fantastic. I have one of his pups and she is the dog of my lifetime. PM me if you want details.

Kindo

WKR
I would love to do it myself but I am crammed on time with young kids in sports. Figured I'd rather pay the pro and get rewarded with the dividends vs risking not setting the time aside.
I hear ya, I have two young ones in sports myself. It helps to have a group of knowledgeable guys training together to stay on track. It’s always fun to get kids involved in the training too.

I think the point above about focusing on what attributes are most predominant in your dog and build on that is pretty important. Determine the type of dog you want and look for a trainer based on that.