Recurve better for shoulder injury?

Elk97

WKR
I've injured my right shoulder (right handed) and not sure I'll be able to shoot my compound bow any longer. I'm old (73) and have been shooting about 64 lbs but over the last few years it's been painful. Like a dummy I figured I could power through it and just get stronger but it got worse. In PT now but after a couple of months it's not a lot better (haven't been shooting). Should I think about getting a recurve? Are they easier on the draw shoulder because the pull gradually increases instead of ramping up so fast like a compound? I've got my compound backed down to 53 (low as it can go) and hope that will work but I have my doubts. Thanks for advice, never shot a recurve or long bow.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat. I can pull my 67lb compound but not enough to
get in any real practice. Shoulder has got bad enough that I cant
sleep on that side.
This year I'm getting one of those dreaded xBows with no apologies.

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
I'm in the same boat. I can pull my 67lb compound but not enough to
get in any real practice. Shoulder has got bad enough that I cant
sleep on that side.
This year I'm getting one of those dreaded xBows with no apologies.
I would recommend going to physical therapy. I couldn't sleep on my right side either and now it's no problem. It took a couple of months of not shooting (bow or shotgun) and doing weight training every day but it's much better.

Felix40

WKR
I’ve been fighting a shoulder injury for a little over a year. I find that shooting my longbow is better on the shoulder than shooting the compound. Ideally I think I should warm the shoulder up with a super light bow or some bands before a shooting session.

I would guess that you won’t be able to draw and shoot accurately with any trad bow heavy enough to hunt with. I’ve always dropped about 20 pounds when going to a trad bow. That’s going to put you around 30-35 pounds.

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
I’ve been fighting a shoulder injury for a little over a year. I find that shooting my longbow is better on the shoulder than shooting the compound. Ideally I think I should warm the shoulder up with a super light bow or some bands before a shooting session.

I would guess that you won’t be able to draw and shoot accurately with any trad bow heavy enough to hunt with. I’ve always dropped about 20 pounds when going to a trad bow. That’s going to put you around 30-35 pounds.
Thanks, that's what I am worried about. I'll have to get to the bow shop and see if I can try some different options when/if I start shooting again.

Warming up with bands is a great idea, it was usually the first few pulls that were really difficult.

I watched a youtube on how to draw a bow correctly from Tom Clum and will be trying his method of using back tension instead of just using my shoulder. According to him I've been doing it wrong all this time and now I'm paying for it.

What about dropping to 50# or a little less on a compound? It will be a lot easier to draw than a hunting weight recurve

Going to a recurve will be hard on your shoulder if you don’t have correct form

The only shoulder issue I’ve had with bows was a 40# recurve, I wasn’t drawing correctly and it trashed my shoulder. Never had shoulder issues with a compound, all shoulder injuries aren’t all the same, so it’s hard to say

If dropping to 50# on a compound, I think that would be ideal vs a hunting weight trad bow

OP
Elk97

Elk97

WKR
What about dropping to 50# or a little less on a compound? It will be a lot easier to draw than a hunting weight recurve

Going to a recurve will be hard on your shoulder if you don’t have correct form

The only shoulder issue I’ve had with bows was a 40# recurve, I wasn’t drawing correctly and it trashed my shoulder. Never had shoulder issues with a compound, all shoulder injuries aren’t all the same, so it’s hard to say

If dropping to 50# on a compound, I think that would be ideal vs a hunting weight trad bow
That makes sense. At least at full draw the compound would be less than a recurve. I should be able to try shooting again in about a month I think. Not having shot a recurve I was just thinking the draw cycle would be easier than getting loaded up quickly like with a compound. I'm just really hoping I can shoot one or the other, I really enjoy it and don't want to have to give it up completely. Wish I hadn't been such a knucklehead and stopped before I did so much damage.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Recurve will definitely be harder on the shoulder as others have said. You’re holding the weight the whole time, and more weight the farther back you pull.

I’ve torn my bicep tendon twice and have rotator cuff issues. I shot a 43lb bow for a couple of season and killed deer and turkey. I shot fixed 2-blades and they were effective. I actually shoot 50lbs now after those two seasons after seeing how effective it was. Didn’t feel the need to pull heavier weights anymore.

Another benefit I hadn’t thought about was how quiet the bow was. If there were multiple deer close by when in shot, they didn’t blow out before like when in shot a 70-80lb bow.

Beendare

WKR
I think Clum and Jake Kaminski and others are exactly right…we screwed up our shoulders by sticking the bow way out in front of us and then reaching for the string with our string hand. This impinges the rotator cuff.
I was guilty of doing it….and for decades with an 80# bow.

I think the front end weight does make it worse with a compound.

Bring your bow in to your PT and ask him/her.

pirogue

WKR
I think a compound would be better than a recurve. Speaking as a 70 year old, who has had shoulder surgery. My last compound I bought, 60 # limbs, 64 # maxed down, is not the brand I thought I would buy when I went into the shop. But I tried 3 or 4 different brands, and 3 of the 4 (all at 60# limbs) had my shoulder taking to me. One didn’t and that’s what I bought. But even if I don’t shoot often, I’m routinely doing strengthening exercises that simulate shooting my bow.

bowhuntercoop

Lil-Rokslider
Recurve and longbow is way easier to draw and let down then a compound. If you shoot a rotational draw and proper back muscles it’s easy. I hate the the transition and dumps into the valley on the compounds. No idea how guys are shooting these 85-90 percent let off. The let down with rip your shoulder off plus the pin float is terrible.

180ls1

WKR
Consider a crossbow as well. Injuries have cascading effects in other areas of your life (work, fitness, household duties, and so on). It may not be worth the struggles.

manitou1

WKR
I have a buddy who has killed bison, elk, lots of whitetails and hogs with a 40lb longbow.

I had no problem killing things with a 42 lb recurve.

I competed in traditional archery and shot over 15,000 arrows a year. Both shoulders have taken a beating.

At 63, I am now a crossbow hunter. I hate them with a passion... but it keeps me archery hunting elk, deer, and pronghorn.

kcm2

WKR
Shoulder injuries do not fix themselves. See a doctor and/or a physical therapist. Don't rely on medical advice or legal advice on the internet.

Bama67

FNG
I shattered my scapula in 5 pieces 1.5 years ago. I find it easier to shoot my Bowtech Solution SS at 70lbs than my recurve thats only 45lbs.
letting the compound down is tough though.

I shattered my scapula in 5 pieces 1.5 years ago. I find it easier to shoot my Bowtech Solution SS at 70lbs than my recurve thats only 45lbs.
letting the compound down is tough though.
I'm actually scared to let down compound bows with how my shoulder is now.