Reloading Brass with Mixed Number of Firings

IDHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a batch of brass that has a mixed number of firings and it could be anywhere between 1-4. Will there be any noticeable accuracy differences between them? I don't anneal so I assume I can continue to reload until the neck splits, head separates or primer pocket becomes too loose?

This is Norma brass in 7mm Rem Mag. Any thoughts on how many rounds I should be getting out of each piece of brass?

49ereric

WKR
I never used to anneal until once fired Remington 6.5 mag brass split on the 2nd shot.
i just use a torch.

Axlrod

WKR
I've got a batch of brass that has a mixed number of firings and it could be anywhere between 1-4. Will there be any noticeable accuracy differences between them? I don't anneal so I assume I can continue to reload until the neck splits, head separates or primer pocket becomes too loose?

This is Norma brass in 7mm Rem Mag. Any thoughts on how many rounds I should be getting out of each piece of brass?
It will depend on how well your sizing die matches your chamber, and how you are adjusting it ( how much are you resizing the brass).
and also how hot your loads are- a "hot" load will cause primer pockets to go early.

i dont know what it says about me but primer pockets almost always seem to go first. i just bought an AMP annealer and it seemed to help my ES/SD's quite a bit. havent shot enough annealed brass to know if it really extends case life. really hoping it helps with some of the more expensive brass (300 norma/7mag) last a bit longer

TaperPin

WKR
Brass that has been fired different amount of times will have slightly different neck tension. If that makes a difference or not in your groups is unknown. I’d be surprised if it made 1/8 moa of a difference. In the various 7 mags I’ve had it never made a big enough difference to notice, although I do anneal necks with a propane torch now to try to be more consistent - in the past it was done every 5 shots just to help keep the neck from cracking, but now it’s done every shot so I don’t have to keep track.

I try to keep pressures down so I can get 10 shots out of a case before the head separates - often this is a max published load and velocity. Hot loads reduce case life quickly - if cases only last 5 shots I’ll back off a little. For some strange reason I’ve rarely had a loose primer pocket over the years. Some brass will crack at the neck after 5 shots if it’s not annealed - of course that depends on chamber size, how far down your die reduces the diameter before the expander ball stretches it again. I’ve heard of guys with minimum neck chambers and bushing sizer dies that get 30 firings with no annealing.

Mtns2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have been shooting a 7mm mag for decades. Have no idea the number of firings per case. I just put fired cases in a plastic box and reload as needed. I only have about 50 cases left out of a hundred or so due to loss while hunting.

Bought about six boxes of federal ammo and have been using it since. Just be very through in checking case condition prior to reloading. I shoot several calibers and do the same with all. All my rifles except a pesky 257 Mark V are sub moa

I shoot bolt for precision and hunting and AR for all else, including dirt napping pigs. For my bolt guns I track all the firings of my brass and use the same lots/headstamps for each caliber.
For AR it’s mixed headstands and mostly pickups from my poor crying buddies who leave it on the ground. Plus a lot of 223 mixed stamp I convert to 300blk.

I would strive to organize your brass in a way they are all on the same amount of firings. If you run into case head separation after a certain amount of firings, if you have mixed up brass you won't know which loaded round might cause you trouble.

I don't have any Norma brass. However, I have used 300 WSM once fired factory brass from Barnes VorTx 5-6x losing a few here and there due to blown primer pockets. Some of these pieces are still in use after 6x fired. I do have an AMP annealer and anneal after every firing then bumping 0.003. I do tend to run the loads hot around 3100+ FPS also with 165 gr TSX.

Wrench

WKR
Most of my case failures are from too much resizing. I have some 223ai and 260ai that has around 15 loads on it. I will sacrifice a case every other reload after 10 to gauge brass flow. They can get thin around .150" from the head and thick in the neck.

Minimum resizing and collets seem to make them last until the pockets fail which is obviously north of 15 for my setup.

Your brass will last longer if you anneal every firing. As the brass is easier to work. Between 1 - 4 firings isn't that large of a spread. I doubt youll see any difference.