reloading

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
One thing I would like to mention, and this is just how we reload and it works for all our rifles, is that we find out how much powder we can safely run with a bullet and then play with seating depth to get them to shoot.
I see a lot of guys will just play with different powder charges to see where their gun is most accurate and call it good. Many times we will run a ladder test or through a chrony until we find a max consistent speed and start seeing signs of pressure. Back off 1/2 grain and play with seating depth until we get a good depth that the gun likes. By loading this way you typically end up with a hotter shooting load that still shoots. Sometimes if we still don't find a depth that'll shoot, back off another 1/2 grain and it almost always starts printing good groups.
Just remember that different powders react differently to temp variances, and what may be safe in 20* may be too hot at 100*. One reason we prefer the Hodgen extreme powders as they are pretty reliable across a broad temp range.

Mike

Great post MIke!

This is my experience as well.

I also use Reloader powders, though, but I just know how my MV drops with the temp. I really prefer the Hodgdon Extreme powders though, they are very consistent.