Remington vssf .223

squirrel

WKR
Looking for a walking around do everything farm gun with the ability to reach out for coyotes. Short list is this gun as I have a .300 RUM sendero that is simply amazing with the right loads. I was curious if any of you have had the short action version and how it did for you. I will be using it for squirrels to deer, but mostly for in the middle like coons, coyotes, and the occasional woodchuck/crow. Ok so it will be mostly crows, I have tons and they aggravate my owls

My sendero big thumper is a sub-1/2 MOA gun and I want this type of result without the 100 Gr. of powder with each pull. My wife has exerted ownership of my 22.250 so I have an excuse in hand, along with a wad of bills.

Dirtbag

WKR
I have an older VSSF in .220 swift that is really my main rifle. It is sub Moa with nearly every handload I feed it. I think a .223 in one would serve you well.

A109C68D-1B25-4615-B597-CCED83ECF1DD.jpeg

cornchuck

FNG
I have an Rem 700 VSSF in .223. It has been a shooter since the day I pulled it out of the box. It shoots 55gr. Nosler ballistic tips and Hodgdon CFE 223.. My wife claims the gun now and she has taken groundhogs out to 350 yards.

Jason

Erict

WKR
I have a VS (no stainless, no flutes) in 223. It shoots unbelievable. Even with the flutes, I think you'd find it to be rather heavy as a "walking around" gun. If I were you and still wanting the 700, I'd look for a Model 7. Good luck.

OP
S

squirrel

WKR
I have a VS (no stainless, no flutes) in 223. It shoots unbelievable. Even with the flutes, I think you'd find it to be rather heavy as a "walking around" gun. If I were you and still wanting the 700, I'd look for a Model 7. Good luck.
First rule "must be accurate". I have a Model 7 in 308. fugger is lucky to hold 3" @ 100 yards. Ive done everything I know only thing that helped was loading the bullets .25" forward from max coal which makes it a single shot. Even then it is over MOA .

Not skeered by the weight if it balances OK. I was curious about the balance with the long tube @26" My sendero has a heavy brake on the muzzle that makes it handle about as nicely as a water-logged 2x10. My buddy that sold it to me assured me it was the lesser of two evils compared to shooting the .300 RUM without it on. I have never messed with it as it shoots so well as is.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I have one in 22-250. The gun shoots but I hate carrying it. The weight isn’t too bad, but the bull barrel just wants to fall down when slung over my shoulder. When I burn out the barrel I’m going to replace it with a smaller contour.

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
I had one in .221 Fireball that shot well. Probably should have held on to that one.

slush

FNG
I have the Remington 5R, that I put in the MDT field stock. It is very light weight. It is one of my favorite guns to walk into prairie dog towns with.